14 replies to this topic

#1 JoergS

JoergS

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationLichtenfels County, Upper Franconia, Germany

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

I am still working on the Phoenix for Dankung. Other than the Hogancastings fork, there is a complication - the Chinese want a flat 8mm steel piece. No palm swell possible.

So I changed the grip outline in order to allow the addition of a palm swell done with paracord.

I left a "bar" in the middle of the handle so it is possible to wrap the paracord around it, giving thickness to the handle.

In order to test this, I used 9mm multiplex (just one mm thicker than the steel Dankung will use). I painted it black in order to make it easier imagining it made from steel. But multiplex is an amazing material, 9mm is solid enough to survive my vise stress test.

This is now making good progress, ergo is OK, shoots both flatbands and looped tubes, works great with finger support and hammer grip styles. Some more tuning and it is good to go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jörg

#2 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:38 AM

It's a shame they were so shortsighted. It was brilliant of you to come up with that work-around. Congratulations, Jörg!. :)

#3 GreyOwl

GreyOwl

wild life fan

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

The left "bar" in the middle to wrap paracord around is ingenious. Congratulations.

#4 lucifer93

lucifer93

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

I liked your orginal design better Joerg, they will make these for less than a $1 then mark then up for sale for 3,000% plus profit

#5 hawk2009

hawk2009

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationSpalding Lincolnshire England

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

You could use filo clay on the middle bar to get a more even finish then finish with paracord.

#6 JoergS

JoergS

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

Of course I could use Fimo or any other thing, including noble wood scales. But I have to think about the reality, most users will just have the paracord Dankung provides.

Dankung is really a good company, they take pride in their products and are much interested in customer satisfaction. As far as I can tell, honest, hard working people.

Jörg

#7 bikermikearchery

bikermikearchery

250 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 275 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

Its a fine looking slingshot

Mike
BMA

#8 dragonmaster

dragonmaster

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

Of course I could use Fimo or any other thing, including noble wood scales. But I have to think about the reality, most users will just have the paracord Dankung provides.

Dankung is really a good company, they take pride in their products and are much interested in customer satisfaction. As far as I can tell, honest, hard working people.

Jörg

This is true and I'm sure we'll see some of this as we do with the cougar.

#9 919h

919h

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 125 posts
  • LocationFrance Lyon

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

Nice new design !

Xav

:)

#10 Devoman

Devoman

750 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 995 posts
  • LocationNorth Woods of Michigan

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

I love the "fangs" its my natural grip

#11 MILBRO PRO SHOT UK

MILBRO PRO SHOT UK

1000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 1,565 posts
  • LocationSheffield England uk

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

I am still working on the Phoenix for Dankung. Other than the Hogancastings fork, there is a complication - the Chinese want a flat 8mm steel piece. No palm swell possible.

So I changed the grip outline in order to allow the addition of a palm swell done with paracord.

I left a "bar" in the middle of the handle so it is possible to wrap the paracord around it, giving thickness to the handle.

In order to test this, I used 9mm multiplex (just one mm thicker than the steel Dankung will use). I painted it black in order to make it easier imagining it made from steel. But multiplex is an amazing material, 9mm is solid enough to survive my vise stress test.

This is now making good progress, ergo is OK, shoots both flatbands and looped tubes, works great with finger support and hammer grip styles. Some more tuning and it is good to go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jörg

It's a shame they were so shortsighted. It was brilliant of you to come up with that work-around. Congratulations, Jörg!. :)

I must agree with dan this is a grate looking slingshot jeorg why on earth would they not cast the slingshot has you wanted it to look .
to make the parm swell would not have been to much of a problem?
From what i have seen of the dankung slingshots are mostley cast by the lost wax process! and your original design would have lent its self to this
process very well

#12 ukslingshots

ukslingshots
  • Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationKENT

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

I like it but i loved your original design Jorg

#13 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:04 AM

I must agree with dan this is a grate looking slingshot jeorg why on earth would they not cast the slingshot has you wanted it to look .
From what i have seen of the dankung slingshots are mostley cast by the lost wax process! and your original design would have lent its self to this
process very well

I thought they were FlowJet cut? Maybe it's time Jörg did some customs at Hogancastings?

#14 JoergS

JoergS

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:42 AM

I think they cut the prototypes, but then they switch to casting.

Here is what Jim (from Dankung) said when I asked him about "3D":

"I have to say the flat profile drawing (like the cougar)is necessary because the precise expression of the shape and dimension. The 3D frame is more vivid,but less precise and could lead the misunderstanding."

I think it basically means that the flat profile is their style. Which is OK, I can adapt. I appreciate that in Dankung, they do not copy other people's designs.

And we have Hogancastings for the cool stuff :-)!

Jörg

#15 MILBRO PRO SHOT UK

MILBRO PRO SHOT UK

1000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 1,565 posts
  • LocationSheffield England uk

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:09 AM

process very well

I thought they were FlowJet cut? Maybe it's time Jörg did some customs at Hogancastings?

Hi Dan to Flowjet cut (water cutting) on a production base would leed to a lot of waste material ?so the unit cost would have to take this up. to flow cut a flat bar of s/steel for a master pattern just seams OVER THE TOP but Dangkung have a way of work that works for them? mass production we can do at my main parent foundry C H COWARD LTD this is still my company but on much bigger scale than my Hogan and sons set up?

--Click to Remove Ads--