Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

THE Tubes vs. Flats Thread

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

Poll: Bands or tubes? (394 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you prefer on you slingshots, bands or tubes?

1. Bands (227 votes [60.86%])

Percentage of vote: 60.86%

2. Tubes (146 votes [39.14%])

Percentage of vote: 39.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 pgandy

pgandy

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 687 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

I find both have a place and like them both. In the final analysis it depends much on the circumstances of the shooter. I get more power with my flats and a smoother release making them more enjoyable to shoot. I now shoot almost entirely 1745 tubes, single for economy and long sessions, doubles for power and PT. Tubes are much cheaper for me to obtain, easy to make a band set, and a snap to change out (I especially like that part), not to mention longer life. And the 14 fpe I am getting is adequate for my needs. Once I get up to that power range the flats die all too quickly. Also, and not the least attribute, is a Dankung w/thin bands literally melts in my hip pocket. I have some 105s that I got from Henry awhile back that aren’t any powerhouse but just won’t give up, they just keep on truck’n. So, I find one is not better than the other as such, it depends on the shooter and his circumstances.

#42 muddog15

muddog15

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 205 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

So far I can't make up my mind which I like better. I have one of my SS set up with TBG bands and the other one set up with heavy tubes. It's an even vote for me.

#43 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

I see the comment “tubes last longer” all the time and this was true, but my new LB2000 flat bands give a very long life, easy pull, good speed and power. As with all bands as you trim them to get more and more speed the life goes down. The faster the speed, the shorter the life of the bands. The LB2000 bands will give up to 7 times the normal life of regular flat bands. -- Tex

http://slingshotforu...x-lb2000-bands/

#44 Tube_Shooter

Tube_Shooter

750 Post Club

• 828 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Tex since getting Lb200 flat bands to the UK is a no go you're going to hear from me too.I use only tubes,cheap fast and last much longer than flats.

Yes I voted tubes

Edited by Tube_Shooter, 01 March 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#45 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• 4,206 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Really, you you shot LB2000 flats and still want to shoot tubes. Where did you get the LB2000 flats? -- Tex

#46 Tube_Shooter

Tube_Shooter

750 Post Club

• 828 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

No Tex I have not tried Lb000 bands,like I said we can't get them to the UK.I should have been clearer and said"I shoot tubes only because they last longer than tbg bands" which are available here and of which I could compare.

#47 Texasbanger

Texasbanger
  • 53 posts
  • Locationhawaii

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

Tubes for me because im tired of flatbands breaking, and it's easier to use tube cuffs to set up the bands. I like flatbands, but my wallet doesn't, as a matter of fact my wallet hates flat bands...lol

Pseudo tapered tubes are also very quiet to shoot.

#48 Knotty

Knotty

100 Post Club

• 178 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Since joining this forum I've done a lot of searching and reading. Lot's of great info.

Still, I don't have a good handle on the difference between bands and tubes. The general consensus is tubes last longer but bands perform better.

So here's the question. If a band and tube produce the same velocity with a given type of ammo, how much harder is the pull with the tube? 10%? 20%? 50%?

I've seen some people write that they would have to give up the sport if only tubes could be used (due to arthritis, etc.). To me that indicates a substantial increase in effort but personally I'm not noticing it yet. So, has anyone quantified the difference yet? What are the numbers?

Thanks!

#49 PorkChopSling

PorkChopSling

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

I wait for the ones with knowledge to answer, thanks for asking the question.

#50 pop shot

pop shot

Over 9001 Warning Points!

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 2,087 posts
  • LocationKailua, HI, Land of the EWOK

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

bands are flat, tubes are round.  bands are more easily tapered.  henry's getting 430 something with tubes.  it's all give and take, once you flush the speed bug out of your system it'll make your catty life a lot more fun.

#51 Knotty

Knotty

100 Post Club

• 178 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Understood but I'm just talking basics. Straight tubes and bands, no tapers. 

(Even in the world of tapers, recent data is showing that it only really benefits smaller ammo, but let's not digress.)

#52 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

bands are flat, tubes are round.  bands are more easily tapered.  henry's getting 430 something with tubes.  it's all give and take, once you flush the speed bug out of your system it'll make your catty life a lot more fun.

I struggle to get rid of this speed bug for a while now, but I will flush it out.

I hope that it will not get replaced with the power bug.

For me, they are a killjoy indeed.

#53 Henry the Hermit

Henry the Hermit

Geezer Gang

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,638 posts
  • LocationGeneva, Texas / Panama

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Since joining this forum I've done a lot of searching and reading. Lot's of great info.

Still, I don't have a good handle on the difference between bands and tubes. The general consensus is tubes last longer but bands perform better.

So here's the question. If a band and tube produce the same velocity with a given type of ammo, how much harder is the pull with the tube? 10%? 20%? 50%?

I've seen some people write that they would have to give up the sport if only tubes could be used (due to arthritis, etc.). To me that indicates a substantial increase in effort but personally I'm not noticing it yet. So, has anyone quantified the difference yet? What are the numbers?

Thanks!

There aren't any simple answers, too many variables involved. In general, yes tubes may last longer than flats. As for pull, some tubes will require less pull than some flats for the same power, but in general flats are a bit more efficient. Flats apparently have the advantage in absolute power. From results seen so far in the 300 Club, I'm predicting the upper limit for modern tubes is about 450 fps, while flats have already exceeded 500 fps. No one can predict what future advances in rubber technology will bring.

Those who say they couldn't play if they had to use tubes probably haven't tried modern small diameter tubes. Excellent target velocities can be achieved with tubes at less than 10 lbs draw weight.

There is no way to quantify the differences unless we get very specific about what type and what configuration of bands and tubes we are comparing.

#54 Susi

Susi

500 Post Club

• 660 posts
  • LocationThe splendor of the high Andes of southern Ecuador, 9,000ft elev

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Nice comeback Geezer Gang, this thread cleared up some questions I had as well..but thanks to everyone!  In Ecuador there's no TB so I've GOT to use surgical tubing or office supply rubber bands.  A definite "hole" in the market here.  I'd love to have a roll of TBG but there's no club here to absorb the rest...and I'm a "make it myself" freak.

#55 Knotty

Knotty

100 Post Club

• 178 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hmmm. This shouldn't be difficult so I was thinking someone must have done it already.

- Start with an efficient tube (small tubes?)
- Shoot 7/16 steel over the chrony in single and looped configs and record numbers
- Cut Theraband Gold bands to produce same speeds (will take some trial and error)
- Compare pull weights

My interest isn't in the extremes of power and speed. Just how do the two main types of elastic compare for plinking with typical draw lengths in the 28-34" range?

#56 Henry the Hermit

Henry the Hermit

Geezer Gang

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Nice comeback Geezer Gang, this thread cleared up some questions I had as well..but thanks to everyone!  In Ecuador there's no TB so I've GOT to use surgical tubing or office supply rubber bands.  A definite "hole" in the market here.  I'd love to have a roll of TBG but there's no club here to absorb the rest...and I'm a "make it myself" freak.

I don't know how reliable your mail service is in Ecuador, but my friend AJW receives a lot of stuff through the Panama Post, while I use a freight forwarder. Check out Dankung.com for tubes or look on page 3 of the above link for flat sheet latex that is close in dimension to TheraBand Gold. At .55 mm thick and 15 x 120 cm it is also close to a 6 ft length of TBG. Dankung will ship anywhere in the world.

#57 Henry the Hermit

Henry the Hermit

Geezer Gang

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hmmm. This shouldn't be difficult so I was thinking someone must have done it already.

- Start with an efficient tube (small tubes?)
- Shoot 7/16 steel over the chrony in single and looped configs and record numbers
- Cut Theraband Gold bands to produce same speeds (will take some trial and error)
- Compare pull weights

My interest isn't in the extremes of power and speed. Just how do the two main types of elastic compare for plinking with typical draw lengths in the 28-34" range?

I'm betting no one has done it because no one is interested in expending that much effort on a question which can be easily answered. If you're looking for a set of plinking bands which will handle 7/16 steel, deliver good velocity, and last a long time, 2040, 1842, or 1745 tubes in looped configuration about 7 inches length will do the trick with pull weights running from a bit over 10 pounds to about 16 pounds, smaller number heavier pull.

Now, if you really want the answers, run the tests and share results with everyone. :)

#58 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• 4,206 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

I have and sell modern tubes and tried some that I don't sell and still say if I had to shoot tubes I probably would not shoot. I have a lot of shooters that went to tubes and have come back to bands. The main advantage I see with modern tubes over modern bands is you don"t have to cut complex shapes. I have run test with modern tubes and LB2000 bands sets and found that with the same speed the life is very close to the same. I can not shoot tubes as accurate as a good set of bands. -- Tex 

#59 tradspirit

tradspirit

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • LocationOxford, CT

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

Interesting discussion and facts being presented.  I have had some limited experience with 1745s on my Wingshooter and have experienced a marked increase in power using the same weight ammo, simply by cutting the lenth of the active tube by as little as one inch! Unfortunately I cannot offer chrono info to back up my conclusion, but I can certainly confirm more frequent steel can penetrations.  Playing with the variables is what adds interest for me.

#60 lightgeoduck

lightgeoduck

"Mighty Can Smiter"

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationNot in Japan anymore,silly

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

That's a hard one to compare. I guess it would be easier to start with the tube set, measure the foot lbs then do some figuring to cut the right TB to have the same weight and speed test both... The issue is there is so many ways you can set up a band/tube set ( more with flats ). To get the same draw length and weight but change the velocity. "z" has a lot of writings on it in his blog http://slingshotforu...nical-writings/

You may find something eirpther there or other parts of the forum to help you get started.

I can tell you this for sure , which has been stated.. You can get the velocity you want without too much of a draw weight. Also, most of the complaints with tubes is from the store bought wrist braces... They mostly have an unbearable draw weight, for me at least, compared to what one can make themselves.

It is an interesting topic. And wish you luck on your quest, i always enjoy a good read. However, I think, the majority of shooters just want to be able to shoot with what they have, and it ends up being up to personal taste on which set they prefer more.

Also, if people want to max out what they can do with a slingshot, I believe that flats have more options to achieve that even though it has been proven that tubes have potential as well.

--Click to Remove Ads--