Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

THE Tubes vs. Flats Thread

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Poll: Bands or tubes? (388 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you prefer on you slingshots, bands or tubes?

1. Bands (223 votes [60.76%])

Percentage of vote: 60.76%

2. Tubes (144 votes [39.24%])

Percentage of vote: 39.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Slingshots rule

Slingshots rule

250 Post Club

• 350 posts
  • LocationPemberton

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

Wat do you prefer bands or tubes?Posted Image

Solids

Chain

Edited by Slingshots rule, 29 October 2011 - 09:43 PM.

#2 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

No other shooting sport compares.

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 6,261 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

Bands. Cheap and fast.

#3 BaneofSmallGame

BaneofSmallGame

Here to help and learn

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 782 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York, USA

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

I would suggest doing a forum search if you want to see how people feel about this, there are topics ALL over the forum about elastic options...

Asking this rather controversial inquiry will do 1 of 2 things.
1. Just generate a huge amount of differed answers because so many members prefer different things. Its all a matter of personal preference after experimentation.
2. Start, for the 10,000 time, a "which elastic is best" argument...

Either way, the best answer in the end, is to take some time and research on the forum, and then get a hold of whatever elastic you can get a hold of or want..... then go from there. Try as much as you can and develop a preference after some experimentation.

In the end, its whatever works for you.....so good luck!!!! :D

Cheers- John

#4 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

No other shooting sport compares.

• 6,261 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

Good point John.

#5 dragonmaster

dragonmaster

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

I like chains and big rubber band's. the more experimenting I do the more I'm hooked.

#6 EHS SLINGSHOTS

EHS SLINGSHOTS

Richard Colindres

• 958 posts
  • LocationNicaragua

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

i think bands are better Posted Image

#7 haertig

haertig

250 Post Club

• 326 posts
  • LocationColorado, U.S.A.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

Generally I prefer bands for OTT slingshots and tubes for Dankung slingshots. For the simple reason: they fit the type of slingshot they're installed on! (I known - duh!) :blush:

In the lightweight pull category, I like bands and tubes pretty much equally. In the heavy pull category, I prefer bands. Bands just seem more "comfortable" to pull in this latter category. But I can't define what "comfortable" is ... it's just a feeling I have when pulling them back.

#8 kobe23

kobe23

Mechanical Engineer PhD in-process

• Registered
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

I myself posted a topic and poll of similar when I first became active, but didn't realize the existing posts floating in the forum. As mentioned above, try all elastics to find your other half Posted Image

#9 Nico

Nico

Resigned

• Banned
  • 729 posts
  • LocationResigned

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi Kobe23
I will have to second John's post reply to this thread..

After having experimented over the years with so many elastics, long balloons, chains, large rubberbands, butyl innertube strips, a one time cut in half black rubber car tie the ones with hooks on the ends ( heavy pull and slow but shot heavy stones very well) tubes regular and heavy pull and large half tubes cut down the middle ( I didnt realize this was an Aussie style when did this as a kid) round solids, squares I'm sure I missed a few other elastics but thats enough to show the example.

Eventually I settled on what works best for me and thats what I go by not really what is most popular cos they all will work for you.
In the end it comes down to understanding the use of your slingshot before you know what will work best for you.

There's nothing wrong with experimentation thats the fun side of slingshots and I encourage experimentation. Experimentation is valuable practice as long as it has a practical direction and not too unrealistic ideas, by that I mean is to realize the limitations of the material(the elastic) and stop trying to go past what it can do and use it for the best that it can perform for you.

Nico

• JOS likes this

#10 harpersgrace

harpersgrace

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,137 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Tubes because they work for me

#11 Xidoo

Xidoo

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 884 posts
  • LocationAnahuac

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

This two choices does not represent the whole rainbow of elastic used with slingshots. I use tubes, but because there is nothing better where Iive. I think that what ever works for you is the correct choice. Saludos.

#12 kyrokon

kyrokon

100 Post Club

• 123 posts
  • LocationCan not be blank

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

I like tubes they last a long time and are easy to replace. Tubes are also quiter than bands, they just work for me you may differ.
Alot of people here like bands, you need to find what works for you.

#13 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 15,471 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

I would suggest doing a forum search if you want to see how people feel about this, there are topics ALL over the forum about elastic options...

Asking this rather controversial inquiry will do 1 of 2 things.
1. Just generate a huge amount of differed answers because so many members prefer different things. Its all a matter of personal preference after experimentation.
2. Start, for the 10,000 time, a "which elastic is best" argument...

Either way, the best answer in the end, is to take some time and research on the forum, and then get a hold of whatever elastic you can get a hold of or want..... then go from there. Try as much as you can and develop a preference after some experimentation.

In the end, its whatever works for you.....so good luck!!!! :D

Cheers- John

:yeahthat:

#14 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,194 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

Flats in the morning, flats in the evening, flats all the day through. I guess I am very opinionated, but if I had to shoot tubes I probability would not shoot at all because of my arthritis. I left tubes in 2000 and never looked back. -- Tex-Shooter

Attached Thumbnails

• 3 Band Set.JPG

#15 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

It is my opinion that Latex FlatBands are very stable and ultra hard hitting, much faster and stable than tubes But, with that being said it depends on the purpose you will use either for. If you want to hammer out several shots in short order you will need tubes to do that. If you have one shot and you want that one to count and wont get a second shot then it is a latex flatband that you want to use. I like both but it I was limited to only one choice it would be latex flatbands but since I have a choice I use both. Now tubes for me is only one per fork 2,3,or 4 per fork I count as confusion. In my opinion.

#16 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Somebody should add solids and chains to the poll.

#17 Ry-shot

Ry-shot

Shooter

• 688 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

flatbands for me .

#18 hawk2009

hawk2009

1000 Post Club

• 1,561 posts
  • LocationSpalding Lincolnshire England

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hmmm i have already voted **** what the **** here's a few more TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES TUBES. :looney: :D :P

#19 lobodog2

lobodog2

100 Post Club

• 126 posts
  • LocationBrooktondale, New York

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

I will have to admit that I voted for tubes on this one. I am on the Dankung kick for now, and know that those tube-sets will go 5-6 hundred shots at least before breaking...All at around 190 FPS!!! (with 5/8" marbles)

#20 harson

harson

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,136 posts
  • Locationayrshire scotland

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Bands for me

--Click to Remove Ads--