400ft shot by bill hayes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 crendon

crendon
  • 43 posts
  • Locationscotland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Just watched a youtube video of forum member bill hayes shooting and fully penetrating a soft drinks can at a distance of 400 feet using his self designed and made seal sniper slingshot, shooting 3/8 steel balls for ammo, and on only his third shot I think. I find this incredible, as I think most people would find it hard to clearly see a small can at that distance, much less zero in a slingshot in three shots for a direct hit. Most people would struggle to do this with a .22 rimfire with iron sights or even a low power scope. I even found it hard to see the shooter at the distance he was away from the camera as he was very blurred. This just seems impossible to me ?

#2 Arturito

Arturito

750 Post Club

• 985 posts
  • LocationChile

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

well Bill is incredible, from other planet !

Cheers

Arturo

#3 crendon

crendon
  • 43 posts
  • Locationscotland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Yep, not of this world for sure Arturo. But has it ever been confirmed by an independent body that these shots can be done by bill or anyone else ? Not to detract from his claim in this video, but if I was going to shoot the same video in the same context, I would have shot the can with a scoped .22. Just my thoughts on this, as it somehow comes across to me as a sales pitch from bill hayes to promote his slingshot sales.

Edited by crendon, 03 September 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#4 Arturito

Arturito

750 Post Club

• 985 posts
  • LocationChile

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

another member here, maybe you have not watched yet 

Cheers

Arturo

#5 eggy22

eggy22

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

That is some serious shooting.

#6 crendon

crendon
  • 43 posts
  • Locationscotland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hadn't seen that video, does he make and sell slingshots as well ?

Edited by crendon, 03 September 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#7 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,842 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

You must be new to the slingshot community. I assure you Bill is for real. Bill can do things with a slingshot that most guys dream of with their firearms. Its amazing what can be accomplished with practice and persistence and eye hand coordination. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean its not possible. Do a little research before you come on making accusations.Try the search function and google. Read past posts in this forum .      

#8 crendon

crendon
  • 43 posts
  • Locationscotland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

No doubt it won't happen because dgui and master bill live in different parts of the USA I assume, but would it not be REALLY great to see a shoot off between them, just to compare their  " shoot quick " and " hold and aim " doctrines.  On the occasions that I have shot rabbits for the pot, it was always a snap shot as the bunny had other plans

#9 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,842 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

Well why don't you join the pocket predator contest with those mad skills.  The forum  would love to see a video of you shooting your snap shot .  

#10 Arturito

Arturito

750 Post Club

• 985 posts
  • LocationChile

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hadn't seen that video, does he make and sell slingshots as well ?

I guess not, and hear what TreeFork said, Bill and torsten are REAL and have inspired a lot of people to go beyond, including me ! 

Cheers

Arturo

#11 crendon

crendon
  • 43 posts
  • Locationscotland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

You must be new to the slingshot community. I assure you Bill is for real. Bill can do things with a slingshot that most guys dream of with their firearms. Its amazing what can be accomplished with practice and persistence and eye hand coordination. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean its not possible. Do a little research before you come on making accusations.Try the search function and google. Read past posts in this forum .      

Yes, I am new to the community, but I think bill's claim of 400 feet direct hit on a soda can after 3 shots is total BS. In my opinion, he is just trying to promote sales of his " Super Sniper " shooters, and probably used a .22 scoped rifle to shoot the hole in the can. The whole video seems so fake to me, sorry

#12 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,842 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hey Crendon is there any one thing in this world you can do better than the average. Do you practice every day something you have been doing since childhood. Probably not. Again your comments about a legend and esteemed member of this community are not appreciated. Your future here is going to be a short one.

#13 AZ Stinger

AZ Stinger

2000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 2,799 posts
  • LocationWillingboro NJ

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Here we go again  :banghead:

#14 Jaximus

Jaximus

The Ghost Who Walks

• Registered
  • 1,134 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

crendon, Bill Hays is beyond reproach. He has never shown himself to be anything other than honest and he is an invaluable asset to this community. To come in here and make these unsupported, unresearched, wild accusations shows a distinct lack of character on your part.

Here we go again  :banghead:

I really hope not. This topic is basically an unsubstantiated attack on another member's character and I think it just needs to be shut down. We don't need this nonsense here. 

Edited by Jaximus, 03 September 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#15 Guest_OldSpookASA_*

Guest_OldSpookASA_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

First point: Bill can defend himself.

Second point:  The man did not accuse anyone of anything, he is skeptical, not accusing.  His is a fair question which can be answered politely and without rancor.

Third point:  Bill can defend himself.

#16 Guest_OldSpookASA_*

Guest_OldSpookASA_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hey Crendon is there any one thing in this world you can do better than the average. Do you practice every day something you have been doing since childhood. Probably not. Again your comments about a legend and esteemed member of this community are not appreciated. Your future here is going to be a short one.

Yeah, see that right there isn't right either...  This did not HAVE to turn into a pissing contest between you and him.  He doubts Bill and Bill can defend himself quite well.  You did not have to get into it and you did not have to essentially threaten him with a short future.  Come on man...  Give him a break he is new.

#17 Guest_OldSpookASA_*

Guest_OldSpookASA_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

The things that I have seen Bill do are sometimes hard to believe.  The hardest one was the 20 some foot pounds at 400+ ft/sec with a #00 buckshot.  I finally figured out how important the loose wire hold on the match is to lighting matches, your target is the size of a marble not the size of a match head.  Still brilliant shooting.  As far as hitting at 400 feet, shoot I stand on the edge of a cliff over the river when the water is calm and shoot at fish boils 200 yards out.  I don't usually hit them but it is interesting to see how close I come and I am no Bill Hayes.

That said, lads, Bill Hayes is quite capable of defending himself.  There is no need for a fight here.

#18 GrayWolf

GrayWolf

2000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Crendon is not new....he has been a member for well over a year.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion...I'm a firm believer of that.  We don't have to agree on everything...what fun would that be.  Just don't start accusing someone of being a fake unless you can prove it. 

Some of us are friends of Bill, myself included and I for one don't like it when my friends are called out when there has been no provocation. Let's just agree to disagree and leave this before it turns nasty.

Just my opinion.

Todd

#19 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Am I the only one that cannot see a soda can at 400 feet?

#20 Guest_OldSpookASA_*

Guest_OldSpookASA_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Yes, I am new to the community, but I think bill's claim of 400 feet direct hit on a soda can after 3 shots is total BS. In my opinion, he is just trying to promote sales of his " Super Sniper " shooters, and probably used a .22 scoped rifle to shoot the hole in the can. The whole video seems so fake to me, sorry

Just my two cents about Bill Hayes.  He seems like a great guy.  He is pretty accomplished with a slingshot.  He teaches other people to do what he does in other threads on this forum and they seem to manage it.  Sometimes he disagrees with other members and I think most of that is more about terminology than about real differences of opinion.

I think Bill Hayes is the real deal... I agree with you that some of his videos are hard to verify because some of the shots he takes are hard to get camera on both the shooter and the target at the same time.  Could his videos be faked?  I could fake them yes.  Does that mean that Bill is faking them?  There is no real reason that he needs to do that.  He documents for us how to build his designs.  He tries his best to document the conditions under which he shoots. For that matter he gives us his designs.

One last point, I took up instinctive archery shooting when I was six.  In my life time I have made shots that I can not explain to you, but I did them.  Bill is not a liar.  I can't prove that, but I believe it.

If you want to do well here, spend some time with us and study us, you will do better than being drawn into an argument about one of the dozen or so members who are icons in the community.  If you want to question Bill, send him a PM.  

Edited by OldSpookASA, 03 September 2013 - 05:16 PM.

--Click to Remove Ads--