• LocationUK

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

And you can find second hand leather belts for quite cheap

#42 Bulls-Eye

Bulls-Eye
  • 33 posts
  • LocationArvada, Colorado

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

If your leather is to thick for your liking you can use a leather knife (SKIVE) to slice the leather thinner. Very sharp knife with a half round blade like what eskimos use to skin large game.

#43 Tripper

Tripper
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:39 AM

+1 on Micheals....5 bucks got me a nice knife sharpening strop and enough squares for probably a dozen pouches....different thickness and softness to really find what works. Use the 40% off coupon and your looking at $3, but this was a couple of years ago so YMMV.

PS - the dyed leather did leave black marks on the bands, but so far no harm done.

#44 J Stacy

J Stacy

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 139 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:04 PM

Just contact Tex shooter he sells nice fresh leather pouches at a reasonable price. That is where I get mine.

Edited by J Stacy, 12 November 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#45 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:20 AM

I just buy from TeX!!! No doubt , best prices, best service, and I live in the leather capital of the us, gliversville NY, I have scraps and stuff I have gotten from leather factories around town, I just haven't gotten around to trying them, I should prob get on that.

...and I thought that the leather capital of the world was at Cowhide, California!l  :banghead:  :banghead:

#46 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:25 AM

And you can find second hand leather belts for quite cheap

Be careful not to select "bonded" leather, which is tiny scraps glued together, cut and dyed.

It's like particle board, cheap to make but bad for the long haul.

Check out "thrift shops" for leather products. And horses. And cows. And goats. And pigs. And kangaroos.  :screwy:

#47 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:30 AM

I've noticed in Palm Beach, Florida a sign "Equestrian flea market". I'd guess that besides walking away with a jar of horse fleas you can purchase all sorts of good quality, used leather used in horsey "tack" and related horsey items.

Saddle up!

Just another THWACK!'s "tip o' the tongue"  :wave:

#48 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:34 AM

If your leather is to thick for your liking you can use a leather knife (SKIVE) to slice the leather thinner. Very sharp knife with a half round blade like what eskimos use to skin large game.

I'd like to see the look on  a tool section Home Depot employee's face when you ask for a skive or skife! :what:  :screwy:

#49 1Wally

1Wally

100 Post Club

• 113 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire,United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

M77_Ruger_(1).JPG

+

Kangaroo.jpg

Or

kangaroo1.jpg

+

Kangaroo.jpg

#50 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

As the title says...where do you buy your leather fabric for your pouch.  

Telling me you use leather from an old jacket, glove, shoe, etc does not help...

Why don't our experienced answers help you?

You want new? Tandy Leather.

#51 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

unicorns

Great answer to his question and attitude.

#52 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

Seems like you want to make your own and you dont want to hear about old gloves or those who make and sell pouches on this forum. So try Tandy Leather.

Their stuff is overpriced, but it is good quality.

I like garmet leather.

Or go on Moscow hide and fur- very cheap, very good quality.

Have ordered from them many times. Buckskin or goatskin, or 'roo hide if you can find it, is the best. Very strong, not very elastic, and very durable.

I used to use garmet leather too, but due to overhunting and logging, the poor garmets have gone extinct, as it would appear.

#53 melvin

melvin

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 158 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

I buy a bag of odds and ends from Hobby Lobby $4 or $5 seems pretty good,heavy enough,doesn't seem to stretch and usually enough for a couple dozen pouches.

Melvin

#54 twang

twang

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 286 posts
  • Locationgreat britain

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:09 AM

im using some old boots. also the stiching tread that comes out of them is good for tying pouches with.

#55 Grandpa Pete

Grandpa Pete

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 423 posts
  • LocationColorado USA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

Thrift shops for ladies bags.

#56 twang

twang

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 286 posts
  • Locationgreat britain

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

this week I went on ebay and searched the local area for boots. I found a pair for 99p ,won them and collected them on my bicycle.after opening the seams ,I have enough leather for about 150 pouches.

#57 BockBorg

BockBorg
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

You know what guys? Any town over 500 people is going to have a welding shop. I'm a welder by trade and I'm a bit of a snob, like most, when it comes to my gloves. They get a hole, they hit the can.

If you can talk to some of the boys there and get em to hang on to their worn out gloves for you to pick up, the oven mitt style are junk but the airliquide ones have lots of good-one-side in the fingers and palm. The cuff is junk. I just discovered this personally and with a double set of heavy flatbands at 7" long, 3" pouch 1/4" hole with 5/16 of meat around the hole, it's held up really nice with minimal stretching for over 100 cycles. Just make sure you pay attention to the grain and put the low stretch direction lengthwise if you can.

So yeah. Old gloves haha, but free as a bird

#58 raventree78

raventree78
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • Locationnc, usa

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

If you go to Hobby Lobby to get leather bundles by Tandy and you have a smart phone you can go to their web site and bring up a 40 percent off coupon.  To use you just pick up one item that is not on sale already or on clearance and show the coupon code on your phone to the cashier and boom 40 percent off.  Thought this might save you all some green for more slingshots.

#59 Viper010

Viper010

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

My dad lives in a large apartment complex. Sometimes, when I'm going home from visiting him, on the evening before trash day, there's discarded leather couches or arm chairs on the curb. When the couch is old and tattered, not in a condition somebody would pick it up and reuse it as is, I take out my pocket knife and cut you the panels that are still good.

This way I have reclaimed many square feet of leather, in a variety of colors, textures and qualities, free of charge.

In fact, one decent quality couch will have you set for life if slingshot pouches are all you want to make from it.

#60 romanljc

romanljc

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 128 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

If you can't get leather I good way to make them is a few sheets of paper wrapped in layers of duck tape this stuff basically becomes as strong as leather

--Click to Remove Ads--