80 replies to this topic

#41 Jaximus

Jaximus

The Ghost Who Walks

• Registered
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

I think if you define a specific goal and strive to reach that goal, you may be able to reach "perfection." But that is essentially setting your own definition for perfection. You can be amazing at making close range rapid-fire ariel hits, but somewhere in Ecuador is some guy that can hit a potato 10/10 at 100 meters. To truly reach perfection you would have to be as good as a human can be at every aspect of slingshot shooting. Close range, long range, rapid-fire, instinctual, aimed, stationary targets, moving targets. If you look at the best shooters in the world on any given platform you'll see that they've all picked a specialization. And even within that narrow specialization they have chosen, the best of the best are challenged by others.

In short; there's always going to be somebody out there that's better than you, in one way or another. Until you can say that there isn't, you haven't reached perfection.   

I said what your saying to start the topic.  Of course I have my own ideas about what skill is.   I cant see a potato at 100 meters but good for the one who can.  It would be good to see some shooting video of you nailing your targets as we can all learn from each other.  I can see now it was my mistake to use an incorrect title to this topic.  Yes there will all ways be those who come along and be better by what ever that is in our judgment.  From what I see of MJ I think he is going to be nailing everything in sight so some of the other Big Dogs will have to step aside.  Just for the Record I am one of the Little Dogs.

Now lets see you shoot. 

I was simply doing as you asked in the first post: Articulating my ideas on skill and perfection. Not just slingshots. I'm a self-professed horrible shot with a slingshot. There's a video of me in this topic- http://slingshotforu...ve-a-way/page-2 -struggling to keep 10/10 on a 2-liter soda bottle at 10 paces. I'm thinking you could watch that as many times as you care to and not learn anything, but there it is. I also plan on shooting a video or two tomorrow for the Pocket Predator contest and I won't be none too surprised if I go 0/10. 

#42 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hey Jax you put some very solid sounding hits on that soda can.  I enjoyed the video and good shooting.  I frequently ask fellow shooters to post video.

Thanks for your opinion and commentary.

Dgui

#43 All Buns Glazing

All Buns Glazing

1000 Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

Your BACK !

27146302.jpg

#44 AZ Stinger

AZ Stinger

2000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 2,715 posts
  • LocationVancouver WA.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Huh...

#45 Aussie Allan In Thailand

Aussie Allan In Thailand

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationKanchanaburi, Thailand

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

Speaking somewhat technically, academically, and also from a personal experiences perspective.

From being a fitness professional for quite some time, a very accomplished athlete in a small number of sports involving precision repeated actions, from tennis, to shooting firearms, to bow hunting, perspective.

I will bet all those in whatever sport, just "know", when an action is an almost perfect action.

This comes from the "feel" of that action; being the repeated "feel" from the first time they did it, of muscles, nerves, hand, and eye, co-ordination, point of view.

To a greater, or lesser extent, depending upon the individual; this can often be increased substantially by visualizing the action, and the "feeling", repeatedly, while one is not practicing, or just before practicing the action, then attempting to duplicate it.

Although I again say, knowing it all about anything, or being perfect at anything; I personally will be lucky if I ever achieve at anything, maybe in the  last 5 seconds before I die.

As we can all learn more about everything.

Cheers To All Allan

#46 TimR

TimR

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

Some years ago Runner's World (I think) had an article about the 8 year phenomenon.  The idea was that in most sports including running, once a person gets serious about improving they make steady progress for about 8 years, then level off, then eventually age related declines start. 

Thinking out loud and half baked, I suggest looking at perfection as a percentage of two levels. 

The first is my personal ultimate level.  We all have different capabilities for what we can achieve given perfect instruction and perfect practice.  Very few of us get all the way there.  Call that level 100%.  For me it might be hitting a basketball at 10 meters, for you it might be a grape, for dgui it might be a grape seed in the dark.  Doesn't matter, only our personal capability counts.

The second is my personal "today" level.  On the journey towards 100%, where am I right now?  40%? 60%?  99%? 

Perfection is to perform AT the personal today level.  If my training today allows me to shoot 40%, and I shoot 40%, I am perfect.  If I shoot less than my skill level allows, due to nerves, lack of concentration, or any other failure, I am not perfect, even if I shot 39%.   

#47 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

TimR Logically speaking from what we see around us that when you speak of decline due to age might not exactly be true on all accounts.  Now when disease afflicts us Old People then there certainly is a toll taken on our bodies but not all ways the mind.  Some of the most talented people some of the most creative people can be Old also I have seen some of the slowest behind dragging youth.  Now take Bob Munden for example as an Old fellow was the fastest Fast Draw ever with his 2 shot Fast Draw untill diabetes took over then a decline.  So I would think we can all be at our capacity as long as we desire it even in old age.  It is the mind that is ageless. 

If this is not so then I would stop slingshot shooting today if all that I can look to is age related decline.

I appreciate your comment.

#48 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

Speaking somewhat technically, academically, and also from a personal experiences perspective.

From being a fitness professional for quite some time, a very accomplished athlete in a small number of sports involving precision repeated actions, from tennis, to shooting firearms, to bow hunting, perspective.

I will bet all those in whatever sport, just "know", when an action is an almost perfect action.

This comes from the "feel" of that action; being the repeated "feel" from the first time they did it, of muscles, nerves, hand, and eye, co-ordination, point of view.

To a greater, or lesser extent, depending upon the individual; this can often be increased substantially by visualizing the action, and the "feeling", repeatedly, while one is not practicing, or just before practicing the action, then attempting to duplicate it.

Although I again say, knowing it all about anything, or being perfect at anything; I personally will be lucky if I ever achieve at anything, maybe in the  last 5 seconds before I die.

As we can all learn more about everything.

Cheers To All Allan

Right.

I shoot by feel.

#49 ZorroSlinger

ZorroSlinger

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

About or before Jan of 2009 was when my slingshot interests began.

Only 4 YEARS? Dgui, look how far you progressed!  Other's would have thought you were shooting slingshots for much longer. You found your niche and are passionate about it. Seeing your older forum posts and videos, one can see how you were learning & evolving and uniquely sharing with everyone via this modern communication medium called the internet. There is not much documentation about intuitive slingshot method. I have also seen some instructive videos about intuitive style shooting at a dankung  website/channel, but you are obviously the most abundant about the technique and have open the doors so that other's may partake in this method of intuitive/instinctive style. Everyone has their individual reasons for indulging in their hobbies or whatever, and it varies. Some do it more seriously and other's as an enjoyable hobby. Striving for 'Perfection' is maybe too strong?  If one is preoccupied with that kind of goal or obsessive about it, it does not seem to me, as enjoyable. 

#50 Bill Hays

Bill Hays

2000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 2,716 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

It took me almost 20 years to achieve the rank of "Master" in Tae Kwon Do... just in time to coincide with physical decline.

Mastery is not always dependent upon being able to do all the little "tricks" in a discipline... "understanding" and being able to pass on that knowledge is a far greater qualifier.

Instructors teach whereas Masters make you understand.

#51 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

About or before Jan of 2009 was when my slingshot interests began.

Only 4 YEARS? Dgui, look how far you progressed!  Other's would have thought you were shooting slingshots for much longer. You found your niche and are passionate about it. Seeing your older forum posts and videos, one can see how you were learning & evolving and uniquely sharing with everyone via this modern communication medium called the internet. There is not much documentation about intuitive slingshot method. I have also seen some instructive videos about intuitive style shooting at a dankung  website/channel, but you are obviously the most abundant about the technique and have open the doors so that other's may partake in this method of intuitive/instinctive style. Everyone has their individual reasons for indulging in their hobbies or whatever, and it varies. Some do it more seriously and other's as an enjoyable hobby. Striving for 'Perfection' is maybe too strong?  If one is preoccupied with that kind of goal or obsessive about it, it does not seem to me, as enjoyable. 

Actually it is more 5 years I think but the past 3 years have been more of a serious pursuit.  My attempt is to see just how efficient the slingshot can be utilized.  Fast Draw, hitting multiple targets quickly, aerial shots 2 and the possibility of hitting 3 either the same target and or 3 targets hit and of course the regimented several static target within a minute at 33 feet.  There are endless possibilities with the slingshot and my purpose is to find a few of them. 

#52 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

I have been gently and kindly corrected and the video here I correct myself willingly.

The title should have read.

The Pursuit In Perfecting Ones Skills An Ongoing Process. 

#53 flipgun

flipgun

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,870 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

I have been thinking about perfection in a skill. I used to spend hours thumping darts down range in pursuit of a greater degree of skill. I never became more than a well practiced average +. But, on occasion, as I would step up to the toe line,take stance and throw.

There were these moments that as soon as I released the dart I could (forgive Me) "Feel the Universe fall into line behind Me" and I could actually watch the dart fly downrange and KNOW that it was going hit the exact spot I was intending to hit. That transitory alignment is an addictive sensation. That was perfection and the pursuit of it has kept me up later than it should, made me late for work and became a meditation exercise that was satisfying in itself. I have thought that if one attains perfection in a thing, then one is done with that thing. The child in me enjoys my toys too much to stop. I will be satisfied with my occasional glimpses.

#54 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

I have been thinking about perfection in a skill. I used to spend hours thumping darts down range in pursuit of a greater degree of skill. I never became more than a well practiced average +. But, on occasion, as I would step up to the toe line,take stance and throw.

There were these moments that as soon as I released the dart I could (forgive Me) "Feel the Universe fall into line behind Me" and I could actually watch the dart fly downrange and KNOW that it was going hit the exact spot I was intending to hit. That transitory alignment is an addictive sensation. That was perfection and the pursuit of it has kept me up later than it should, made me late for work and became a meditation exercise that was satisfying in itself. I have thought that if one attains perfection in a thing, then one is done with that thing. The child in me enjoys my toys too much to stop. I will be satisfied with my occasional glimpses.

Good points and just as soon as I can get 3 hits on a can before the can hits the ground I will quit.

#55 forkfinder

forkfinder
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

Bring back Rufus and lets have a shoot out between dgui and Rufus ha ha. The only thing I know is the more I see your shooting the more I feel inadequate. Thanks for sharing

#56 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Bring back Rufus and lets have a shoot out between dgui and Rufus ha ha. The only thing I know is the more I see your shooting the more I feel inadequate. Thanks for sharing. 

AAAHHHH My Favorite AVATAR  Yea !

#57 TimR

TimR

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

Most people don't get to their true potential, because progress stops when they reach "good enough."  

There's some kind of mental switch that gets thrown when the assessment "good enough" is made.  

Others keep striving for just a little bit better, and eventually get a lot better.  

#58 Pawpawsailor

Pawpawsailor

1000 Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Most people don't get to their true potential, because progress stops when they reach "good enough."  

There's some kind of mental switch that gets thrown when the assessment "good enough" is made.  

Others keep striving for just a little bit better, and eventually get a lot better.

This maybe true, but considering the stress related problems that go along with an OCD mentality, there is a lot that can be said for mediocrity. ;)

#59 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 9,849 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

I have been gently and kindly corrected and the video here I correct myself willingly.

The title should have read.

The Pursuit In Perfecting Ones Skills An Ongoing Process. 

So Darrell, to sum it up you were using "perfect," the verb, not "perfect," the adjective. ... Right?

indoubt.jpg

Edited by Dayhiker, 07 July 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#60 Btoon84

Btoon84

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,555 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Dgui, you say you'll quit after you get 3hits on a can before it hits the ground!? Why would you ever quit something you love?

--Click to Remove Ads--