80 replies to this topic

#1 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Of course I have my own ideas about what skill is and how long it takes to achieve but I would like to know your ideas on it.

#2 Simple Shot

Simple Shot

250 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 322 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

POPULAR

Slingshot shooting is perfected when you are having fun all the time... regardless of whether you hit your intended mark every time.  For many, it is perfect from the very first shot.

Edited by Simple Shot, 03 July 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#3 Imperial

Imperial

-HOBBYIST-HUMORIST-

• +Member
  • 6,651 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

. . .  endless 

#4 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

I don't know what you mean by "perfect", but I think it probably takes the 10,000 hours prescribed by Malcolm Gladwell in his book, Outliers.  

#5 reset

reset

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 779 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Slingshot shooting is perfected when you are having fun all the time... regardless of whether you hit your intended mark every time.  For many, it is perfect from the very first shot.

Perfect answer.

#6 TimR

TimR

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Remember the famous Japanese baseball player who batted standing on one leg?

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Sadaharu_Oh

Late in his career, in practice, he did three consecutive perfect swings in a row. 

And quit. 

With mastery came no more challenge and he hung up his bat. 

Just saying.

#7 jazz

jazz

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationBH

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Many.

#8 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

I don't know what you mean by "perfect", but I think it probably takes the 10,000 hours prescribed by Malcolm Gladwell in his book, Outliers.  

I did once read a book by Norman, How to win friends and influence people.  I do not mean the perfect as word perfect.  I am talking about perfecting ones skill which is not perfect in the true sence of the word as we might mistakenly attach.

#9 PorkChopSling

PorkChopSling

2000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 2,942 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

The quest for perfection is endless, but for me that makes it all the more fun.

#10 forkfinder

forkfinder
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

You know I was thinking the other day Rufus Hussey shot for basically 69 years from the age of Six to the day he died If I remember right. If you figure on average he shot 100 shots a day just a guess, but probably close I bet, that's 36,500 shots a year times 69 years that's 2,518,500 shots. So I'm guessing between the 50,000 and 2,000,000 mark ha ha. You seem to be quite handy with a slingshot dgui how long did it take you? there are many good shots on this forum. Shout out how long it took you to be able to hit any target any time. I am quite a way from that but working every day and having fun as Nathan put it. Thanks FF

Edited by forkfinder, 03 July 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#11 AZ Stinger

AZ Stinger

2000 Post Club

• 2,718 posts
  • LocationVancouver WA.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

I`m not so sure the quest ever ends...

#12 Arturito

Arturito

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 985 posts
  • LocationChile

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

I feel I am shooting "perfect" compared a year ago ... I am really enjoying, but I don't know how "perfect" will be in a couple of years, maybe then I will find it bad ??? hope not ...

Cheers

Arturo

#13 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

You know I was thinking the other day Rufus Hussey shot for basically 69 years from the age of Six to the day he died If I remember right. If you figure on average he shot 100 shots a day just a guess, but probably close I bet, that's 36,500 shots a year times 69 years that's 2,518,500 shots. So I'm guessing between the 50,000 and 2,000,000 mark ha ha. You seem to be quite handy with a slingshot dgui how long did it take you? there are many good shots on this forum. Shout out how long it took you to be able to hit any target any time. I am quite a way from that but working every day and having fun as Nathan put it. Thanks FF

About or before Jan of 2009 was when my slingshot interests began.

#14 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Fork Finder I really like your Avatar.  Real Zainy.  HA !

#15 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

It is my opinion that it takes about 40 years.

So there is not enough time for me.

#16 AZ Stinger

AZ Stinger

2000 Post Club

• 2,718 posts
  • LocationVancouver WA.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

It is my opinion that it takes about 40 years.
So there is not enough time for me.

Leaves me out too

#17 forkfinder

forkfinder
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

HA HA  Yeah I'm not a big Fan of his glad you enjoyed it. Aint America great. Happy fourth to all remember to let some lead Fly tomorrow to celebrate our freedoms and may they all fly straight. FF

#18 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

HA HA  Yeah I'm not a big Fan of his glad you enjoyed it. Aint America great. Happy fourth to all remember to let some lead Fly tomorrow to celebrate our freedoms and may they all fly straight. FF

Were headed down that Sewer Pipe as fast as riding a Toboggan Slide that is on the side of a frozen mountain.  Yea aint life great when every thing is broken.

#19 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

That analogy means something special to me Dgue. In the town where I grew up there was a large storm sewer pipe that started on a street and went down a big hill at about 30 degrees. Near the bottom it curved level and dumped out about 10 feet over the water in a river. There was always a little water on that street along the curb that found its way into the large pipe and froze there as it ran down the hillside. when the river was froze solid and there was enough ice in the pipe it was a great sled ride. One would shoot out the bottom of the pipe like being shot out of a cannon and land on the ice. The city had to put a grate over it after there was a wreck in side the pipe one day. -- Tex

#20 Bob at Draco

Bob at Draco

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

The slingshot, like the bow, can never be mastered. It is the moments mastered that make it worth while.

--Click to Remove Ads--