• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 snath

snath
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

I picked up a Trufire bow release and modified it to grip a 3/8 inch pouched ball.

I removed and discarded the wrist strap and replaced it with a loop of paracord (that I hook around my ring finger), machined off some bits, and made a couple of stainless loops, beveled the inside edges, and silver soldered them on.

I mounted it and a slingshot on a piece of plywood and after I dialed it in (I found that it likes a thin pouch, and ball placement in the pouch is pretty critical) the balls started going in pretty much the same place.

I may make another one with bars (like the Dankung release) instead of loops.

Here are a few picutures.

A few shots of the modifications:

Top.jpg Side.jpg Gripping Pouch.jpg Side Open.jpg

10 Meters to the target over my plywood "shooting fixture". The red line is not a laser; rather, it is braided red rubber bands at 32 inch draw.

10 Meters.jpg

The target after about 50 shots from the shooting fixture.

Target.jpg

A close up of one of my exhaust pipe slingshots (I posted about them on the Homemade Slingshots Forum a few days ago)

Exhaust Pipe Slingshot.jpg

#2 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 8,090 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Nice job on the conversion. You may know that Dankung makes a mechanical release specifically for slingshots. 

http://slingshotforu...anical +release

I made a mechanical release from scratch several years ago.

http://slingshotforu...anical-release/

About 18 months ago Bill Hays suggested using a "pony clip" or spring clip for a mechanical release. His photos of it seem to have disappeared, so here are a couple based on his idea.

ReleaseAndSlingshot.jpg

ReleaseCloseUp.jpg

ReleaseInHand.jpg

I did not find that the use of a mechanical release improved my accuracy, and I believe Tex said the same thing. Certainly with a bench mounted rig, it is a different story. But it did not help me when using one by hand. I will be interested to get your reaction after you have used it for a while.

Cheers ..... Charles

#3 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

Shooting a slingshot is the greatest form of meditation.

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Wow that is a brilliant idea!!! 

#4 snath

snath
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

Nice job on the conversion. You may know that Dankung makes a mechanical release specifically for slingshots.

Thanks for the review and views of the internals of the Dankung release. As I noted above, I am considering making a Dankung cross bar-like modification to a Trufire release. Cross bars instead of loops may make ball placement in the pouch a little critical to accuracy.

I made a mechanical release from scratch several years ago.

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/8867-mechanical-release/

Thats one heck of a job. Did the pivot-from-the-side fingers tend to make the ball veer off course? I looked at some hook releases and decided against them because I thought they might do that. I like the sear on yours because it could be adjusted to eliminate/reduce creep. The long trigger pull is one thing I really don't like about the Trufire.

About 18 months ago Bill Hays suggested using a "pony clip" or spring clip for a mechanical release. His photos of it seem to have disappeared, so here are a couple based on his idea.

I thought about some kind of a spring clip but decided that it would be a little bulky.

I did not find that the use of a mechanical release improved my accuracy, and I believe Tex said the same thing. Certainly with a bench mounted rig, it is a different story. But it did not help me when using one by hand. I will be interested to get your reaction after you have used it for a while.

So far, I'm not finding the release doing much to improve accuracy when using it by hand, In fact, it has made it worse. I put it on the stationary fixture to see what's going on and to determine what, if any, adjustments might improve it.

I'm gonna stick with it a while longer if for no other reason than to give my thumb a rest (I'm 67 and have some problems with tendonitis), But in my opinion, there's no substitute for a "human release".

#5 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 8,090 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

I used my release in the upright position, so there was no sideways motion to the ammo at all. I took the basic idea from ancient crossbow release mechanisms.

Joerg Spraave of the Slingshot Channel (Youtube) frequently employs mechanical releases on his contraptions. You might find it fun to have a look at some of his designs if you have not seen them before.

I well understand the problems with aging joints, and mechanical releases can certainly supply some relief in that regard. Just keep shooting ...

Cheers ....... Charles

#6 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Not Practical.

Way too Slow.

#7 Dr J

Dr J

2000 Post Club

• +Member
  • 2,052 posts
  • LocationCayman Islands

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Do finger and forearm exercise, such as squeezing a sponge ball. I find it helps.

#8 Arturito

Arturito

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 985 posts
  • LocationChile

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

maybe can harm accuracy, at least for me is very important the pouch feeling, ... lol dgui I am a way slow to load "normal", with this gadget slower even !!!

Cheers

Arturo

--Click to Remove Ads--