2 replies to this topic

#1 primitive power slingshot

primitive power slingshot

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 369 posts
  • Locationuriah, alabama

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

WOULD I NEED TO MAKE A PLANK BIG ENOUGH FOR ONE SLINGSHOT? HERE IS WHAT I'VE SAVED AND CUT UP ALREADY.WP_001190.jpg WP_001191.jpg

#2 Viper010

Viper010

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 761 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:04 AM

mass says so much more than shredded volume. wikipedia says 0,93-0,97 gram/cm3 (equates to 930-970 grams per litre)

i dont know if you are used to imperial or metric measurement units.
i have some hdpe board here, and im going to visit my dad this afternoon (he owns a digital kitchen scale) i will weigh one of my boards there and post weight and measurements here for you, in metric and imperial.

i admire your recycling endeavours, however, i think it might be easier and safer to obtain ready-made hdpe board than to make your own. plastics are in the habit of exuding nasty, possibly carcinogenic fumes when melted down. they can also cause nasty painful burns.

plus, if you get factory made hdpe board, it has no airbubbles trapped inside, which may be difficult to ensure on homemade boards. im no expert by any means but seems to me airbubbles could seriously jeopardize structural integrity (which to me is the nr1 sellingpoint of hdpe, its strength)

just my 2 cents for now... i wish you good luck on your project and will get back to you on the weights n measurements.

cheers, remco

#3 primitive power slingshot

primitive power slingshot

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 369 posts
  • Locationuriah, alabama

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

mass says so much more than shredded volume. wikipedia says 0,93-0,97 gram/cm3 (equates to 930-970 grams per litre)

i dont know if you are used to imperial or metric measurement units.
i have some hdpe board here, and im going to visit my dad this afternoon (he owns a digital kitchen scale) i will weigh one of my boards there and post weight and measurements here for you, in metric and imperial.

i admire your recycling endeavours, however, i think it might be easier and safer to obtain ready-made hdpe board than to make your own. plastics are in the habit of exuding nasty, possibly carcinogenic fumes when melted down. they can also cause nasty painful burns.

plus, if you get factory made hdpe board, it has no airbubbles trapped inside, which may be difficult to ensure on homemade boards. im no expert by any means but seems to me airbubbles could seriously jeopardize structural integrity (which to me is the nr1 sellingpoint of hdpe, its strength)

just my 2 cents for now... i wish you good luck on your project and will get back to you on the weights n measurements.

cheers, remco

thanks friend, i'll be looking forward to seeing those weights

--Click to Remove Ads--