#1 lexlow

lexlow

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationTonbridge Kent UK

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

POPULAR

Hello again, a simple project here this time, compared to the micarter (well sorta).

ok, so for those who have found this tutorial and not the micarta one, i'll repeat a few steps from that one.

HDPE is easy to find, 

hdpe logo.jpg

as long as its got the number 2 in the triangle and or it has HDPE (sometimes PEHD) then its good for what we need.

hdpe melts (not burns or release fumes) at about 180 c.

this stuff can be easily singed at about 220 c i think from experience, although the inside would still be fine. 

step one:

bottle 01.jpg

take your bottle and cut it into pieces roughly 1-2 cm2  and collect. now i'm sure its wrong (knowing me prob by alot) but i think its weighing in at about 1.5grams per cm3 so you can roughly work out how much plastic you will need to collect by working out how big your mould is.

step two:

oven bowl.jpg

putt all your HDPE into a metal bowl and place into an oven. switch oven to 190c and as with the micarta heat for about an hour checking twice and turning the bowl. this stuff is the consistency of toffee peeps, so dont think your going to be poring it anywhere! using a metal rod or butter knife etc pry the HDPE from the bowl and place into your mould.

step three:

HDPE when cooling wants to twist badly as different parts cool quicker, so i made a block moulder that i could dump the melted HDPE in and form it to a rough block and hold it there.

setting frame01.jpg

here is the area for the plastic, it is contained by 2x2 cm wooden slats into a piece of ply with a side left open for a sliding push bar.

step four:

setting frame02.jpg

once the plastic is sitting roughly inside the three sides of the rig, you can push the lid (peice of ply)

down and squash it then screw in place.

step five:

setting fram03.jpg

use the push side to further squash the HDPE into the mould, and screw that in place.

and then leave to cool for around two hours before taking it out.

coloured pieces can be added into the mix before heating, or even layers of whole coloured plastic, or...... anything heat proof . anyway, hope that gave someone something to do  :-)miniss02.jpg hdpeham ready.jpg

#2 lexlow

lexlow

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

i might add also that if you use a dremel type mini sanding drum to shape it, it will perform excelent, i did the whole small cattie with one drum :-D cheap ;-)

#3 orcrender

orcrender

3000 Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Nice information.

• Tag likes this

#4 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,842 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Well done! Never would have thought scrap could be used.

• Tag likes this

#5 Rayshot

Rayshot

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,401 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia USA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

That is informative. Thanks.

You mention it melts at 180c but say 190 c for the oven.  The 190c is what we should use for the oven?  Just checking.

Edited by Rayshot, 13 April 2013 - 04:57 PM.

• Tag likes this

#6 lexlow

lexlow

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

That is informative. Thanks.

You mention it melts at 180c but say 190 c for the oven.  The 190c is what we should use for the oven?  Just checking.

yes, i meant 190 in the oven, i think it is all variable from 180 - 200 and as well as the length of time depending on amount of HDPE

#7 maxpowers

maxpowers
  • 42 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

That's awsome! I was searching for a source of plastic material for ss's last night. Get up this morning and find this thread. Thanks Lexlow! (Starts rummaging through recycle bin...........)

#8 bullseyeben!

bullseyeben!

2000 Post Club

• 2,336 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, sth aus

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Was just making the morning coffee when reading this, looked under the milk bottle and there it was....hdpe.. thats really cool to see how well it works...good job...

#9 Knotty

Knotty

100 Post Club

• 178 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

Great info. Didn't know we could melt and mold a block from milk containers.

#10 lightgeoduck

lightgeoduck

"Mighty Can Smiter"

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationNot in Japan anymore,silly

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

Man, this is cool.. my milk jugs can turn into slingshots!

I love this, and cant wait for my wife and kids to go on vacation again, I am so doing this ;)

Thanks for the info

LGD

#11 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,207 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

all plastic milk containers are HDPE.  i once had an idea of cutting out the large flat sections and glueing them with epoxy to make a slab of material to cut into. 

lexlow- ever consider trying the 5 gallon water bottles ? (unless im mistaken bout them being HDPE also)

• Tag likes this

#12 maxpowers

maxpowers
  • 42 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

So far I have acquired about 350g of HDPE, and that's just out of one bin. We drink a lot of milk and juice. Is this stuff infinitely re-meltable? Can I just keep re-using the off cuts when making a slingshot?

Also, according to wiki HDPE is 0.93-0.97 g/cm3

Edited by maxpowers, 13 April 2013 - 11:59 PM.

• Tag likes this

#13 lexlow

lexlow

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

all plastic milk containers are HDPE.  i once had an idea of cutting out the large flat sections and glueing them with epoxy to make a slab of material to cut into. 

lexlow- ever consider trying the 5 gallon water bottles ? (unless im mistaken bout them being HDPE also)

i used a plant food container for part of a mix, it was HDPE but about 2mm thick, melted fine with the rest ;-) and no need to glue :-)

• Tag likes this

#14 lexlow

lexlow

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

So far I have acquired about 350g of HDPE, and that's just out of one bin. We drink a lot of milk and juice. Is this stuff infinitely re-meltable? Can I just keep re-using the off cuts when making a slingshot?

Also, according to wiki HDPE is 0.93-0.97 g/cm3

thanks for looking that on wiki, i didnt even think to bother as i knew someone would :-)

and so far a few parts have been melted three times, also it did say somewhere that the property of this HDPE is that it can be used again and again.

• Tag likes this

#15 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 10,770 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

This is a great idea ... I really love it. I know I have a reputation of being a scrounger, but this beats me combing second hand stores for old cutting boards!!!

Cheers .... Charles

#16 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 11,196 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Once again, thank you, lexlow.  This is great stuff!

#17 Beanflip

Beanflip

Bean it!

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,815 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

This just gave me a light bulb moment. I can save all my KingStarboard scraps and shavings and make more slingshots! Thanks

#18 Beanflip

Beanflip

Bean it!

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,815 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365971857.135505.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365971932.006385.jpg Colors! I wonder if it could be chopped up in a food processor. It might fill the space of the mold efficiently. ?
  • Tag likes this

#19 lexlow

lexlow

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

This is a great idea ... I really love it. I know I have a reputation of being a scrounger, but this beats me combing second hand stores for old cutting boards!!!

Cheers .... Charles

i still do that lol. another source of good wood can come from pound stores, some of those wooden toys have a good amount of area, also they do epoxy :-)

• Tag likes this

#20 lexlow

lexlow

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1365971857.135505.jpg attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1365971932.006385.jpg Colors! I wonder if it could be chopped up in a food processor. It might fill the space of the mold efficiently. ?

yup i collect (and reserve cleaning bottles.) also, the lids to most of these fruit juice or milk bottles are hdpe , they have the same symbol.

• Tag likes this

--Click to Remove Ads--