- - - - -

Five Raw Dogwood Forks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_OldSpookASA_*

Guest_OldSpookASA_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I picked up about a dozen dogwood forks yesterday. These five are the largest. I also got an almost straight six foot section from the base of the tree. That should give me two or three bow staves if it splits well.

Attached Thumbnails

• SDC11089.JPG
  • SDC11090.JPG

#2 flipgun

flipgun

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,870 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Looks good. I have a few large ones drying also. I feel a Zombie Stopper coming on.

#3 Sofreto

Sofreto

1000 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationPeople's Republic of California

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

You have better luck that a prospector mining gold....Great finds

#4 Caribbean_Comanche

Caribbean_Comanche

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 646 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Great finds. Looks like alot cool slingshots to me. :thumbsup:

#5 msasso

msasso
  • Registered
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLong Island NY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Is Dogwood good for Bows? I live on Long Island and We have a lot of dogwoods that have come down as a result of Hurricane Sandy. I got a nice fork over the weekend as a result. I have been wanting to make a longbow. Is Dogwood a good choice?

#6 Guest_OldSpookASA_*

Guest_OldSpookASA_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Is Dogwood good for Bows? I live on Long Island and We have a lot of dogwoods that have come down as a result of Hurricane Sandy. I got a nice fork over the weekend as a result. I have been wanting to make a longbow. Is Dogwood a good choice?

I'm sorry I have to say these will be the first I have ever made of dogwood. The bowyers bible suggests that dogwood is better for arrows than for bows but any wood will make a bow. In the case of dogwood it looks like it would make an ok flatbow but probably not a very good longbow. Let me suggest these woods in this order: Yew, Lemon Wood, Osage Orange, American Elm, Mulberry, Black or Honey Locust, White or Red Oak and Hickory. These woods are generally more forgiving. In particular the oaks and locust are nice to work with, finish well and produce an excellent flat bow.

#7 rockslinger

rockslinger

3000 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 3,484 posts
  • LocationAz.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Nice ones, I like the lower right best.

--Click to Remove Ads--