11 replies to this topic

#1 mopper

mopper

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 303 posts
  • LocationErding, near Munich, Germany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I had the first of the bi-annual parent-teacher conferences at my school yesterday evening and when there was a little lull and no parents waiting in front of my door, I pulled out my slingshot and used some of those small chalk stubs that are always in the chalk tray under the blackboard for ammo.

From my teacher's desk I shot a tidy little group at seven meters against the far wall of the classroom and I was very impressed by the result: Not only did the stubs fly quite straight at that distance, on impact they blew up into dozens of little shards and a very impressive dust cloud. The point of impact was marked by a little cone of chalk powder that stuck to the surface, with jets of chalk dust radiating several inches from the center cone outwards. It looked awesome, like a tiny meteorite had struck the wall and eploded :D

If you are looking for relatively cheap, light ammo that is very unlikely to ricochet and creates a quite spectacular effect, you ought to give those little pieces of chalk a try. They apparently work best when broken into little pieces that are as "round" or symmetrical respectively as possible.

#2 Sherman

Sherman

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Interesting, I'll have to try that.

ps Only a great teacher brings a slingshot to parent-teacher conference night.

#3 CAS14

CAS14

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 324 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Reminds me of a really great physics and chemistry teacher that I had in the 1963-64 school year. This wouldn't happen today. If he caught someone dozing off, he'd nail them on the noggin with a piece of chalk or an eraser. He was a student favorite, and I wound up majoring in geology with minors in chemistry and physics. Great memories. Thanks.

#4 ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx

2000 Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 2,051 posts
  • LocationAndalucia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

What a good idea ! :)

#5 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,146 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

I have used chalk and sugar cubes for targets when Nell and I were shooting exhibitions. Sugar cubes also make great wing targets with a slingshot or bb gun. -- Tex

#6 Smashtoad

Smashtoad

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 422 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

...If he caught someone dozing off, he'd nail them on the noggin with a piece of chalk or an eraser. He was a student favorite, and I wound up majoring in geology with minors in chemistry and physics. Great memories. Thanks.

Ha...I had a shop teacher with an old hand-held wind-up generator. When he found someone sleeping, he would put a wire under each elbow and give it a good half crank. I only saw it happen once, but it was awesome.

#7 mopper

mopper

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

I am hoping it will also reduce the damage when I hit my fork once again ... :-D I seem to be developing a nasty little habit there ...

I have just done a little google-shopping search, and ordered ten boxes with 100 pieces of round chalk each, for a total of 15,50€ - including shipping. That ought to get me around 7000 to 8000 bits of ammo! It boils down to around one cent for five shots, one Euro for five hundred shots. it can hardly get cheaper than that. And it is environmentally friendly too, so it can be shot anywhere.

#8 treefork

treefork

4000+ Post Club

• +Member
  • 13,128 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

You sound like a down to earth teacher.

#9 Imperial

Imperial

-HOBBYIST-HUMORIST-

• Registered
  • 6,900 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

reminds me of the drywall pieces i once shot .

#10 Berkshire bred

Berkshire bred

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 828 posts
  • Locationberkshire england

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

i am myself currently finishing secondary school and all i can say is that if any of my teachers sounded as interesting as you i might have actually payed atention.

#11 mopper

mopper

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

Too bad I will never be able to do that during a lesson ... I suspect it would be impossible to restore order again ... :wacko:

#12 Viper010

Viper010

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 776 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

order is so overrated.... 

--Click to Remove Ads--