Slingshots Forum banner

Speed Freaks - SSF 300 Club

89K views 495 replies 64 participants last post by  Reed Lukens 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are you a Speed Freak? Do you have a desire to see how fast you can fling your ammo? Would you like to be recognized for a feat that is not that easy to achieve? If so we have a club for you, The "SSF 300 Club". Membership is challenging, but achievable, even for us older members who no longer have the muscles needed to pull 30 pound bands, and anyone who is old enough to be a Forum member should have the needed strength.

Note: The rules are evolving, and may change from time to time. I welcome input on how to make the rules better and fair.

Here's how to become a member.

• Find a bandset/ammo combination that will give 300 feet (91.44 meters) per second or higher velocity.
  • Make a video similar to the one in the next post.. You and the Chrony should be visible when the shots are made. After each shot, either zoom to the Chrony readout or move the camera close enough to see the readout, keeping the Chrony in view at all times. The fastest shot must be backed up by at least one other shot within 5% of the same velocity. Please do not edit the video at any point between the first and last shot. It's OK to shoot a lot of shots and remove from each end, but the qualifying shots should be continuous.
  • Post the video and full information about the fork, bandset, and ammo. Give the size, type, and weight (if you know it.) of ammunition. If you weigh the ammo, use scales with an accuracy of .01% or better. Include the dimensions, width, taper, relaxed length (fork to pouch tie), and pouch. Also state your approximate draw length.
  • The frame may be any form, but rubber must be drawn with one hand only. There are no restrictions on ammo weight.

The Android app "Chrono Connect" has been approved for both Speed Freaks and Power Rangers. To qualify for either Speed Freaks or Power Rangers with this app, please review and follow this tutorial.

http://slingshotforu...setup-tutorial/

The video must show your setup, including measurements from 1st sound producer to target. The 1st sound producer should be far enough from the slingshot that the pouch does not strike the sound producer. The distance from 1st sound producer to target must be entered into Chrono Connect precisely as measured and that distance must be at least 192 inches. Sound sensitivity of the app should be set to the lowest setting which will produce results. It is very important to follow the tutorial and these instructions exactly, as any deviation can result in erratic readings. Setups which do not conform to the tutorial will not be considered for qualification.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's my entry for the SSF 300 Club. Please format your entry in a similar way and include the following information.

Fork: Cashew Natural Fork Ringshooter
Rubber: Dankung 1842, tied in a pseudo-taper configuration. Double part, 3.5 inches, single part, 3.5 inches. Total pull length 7 inches.
Approximate Draw: 36 inches
Pouch: Kangaroo leather 1/2 inch x 2 inches
Ammo: .25 caliber/6.35mm steel by Daisy.

Note: This video actually shows 8 shots. Two missed the Chrony sensors, and the 5 fastest were used to calculate the average speed. The speeds were: 309.2, 308.8 315.7, 322.8, and 316.5 for an average of 314.6 fps. Since at leasr 1 was within 5% of the highest speed, (in fact all 5 were) the highest speed of 322.8 stands as my current record.

#3 ·
Hey Henry,
here's a speed shot I did about 5 years ago using 5/16" steel ammo on a Starship rigged with a folded .20 gauge latex with dimensions of 2 1/2 x 1 1/4" x 9 1/2"s ( I think) and a draw of 52"s. Temperature was in the mid 90's that day. I'll have to wait till summer to do another one with a video this time! Have fun speed demons! Flatband

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Henry,
here's a speed shot I did about 5 years ago using 5/16" steel ammo on a Starship rigged with a folded .20 gauge latex with dimensions of 2 1/2 x 1 1/4" x 9 1/2"s ( I think) and a draw of 52"s. Temperature was in the mid 90's that day. I'll have to wait till summer to do another one with a video this time! Have fun speed demons! Flatband

Gary, temperaure certainly makes a difference. At noon today, I was shooting close to 340 fps, but in late afternoon when I shot the video the temperature had dropped about 15 degrees and I could only get 322. I'm looking forward to seeing you join the club when it warms up. In the meantime, you've shown some folks that 400 fps is possible.

#7 ·
Looks like I am going to have to get to work on some pseudo tapered bands, AND run my household thermostat up to 85 degrees!!!

Nice job, Henry. And what a great idea for a "club". I was impressed not only by your speed but also by your accuracy at that speed ...

Cheers ..... Charles

#8 ·
Thanks for the kind words, Charles, but the accuracy was more accident than plan. I was aiming at a certain spot over the Chrony sensors and the can just happened to be in the right spot. The speed will get a lot higher. I have a 380 shot backed up by a 375 on video, but it doesn't meet club requirements. I fully expect to see someone hit 400 before Christmas.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well sadly I smashed my camera pretty bad in newconverts last comp.. so its hard for me to get recent or new footage, but I hope this vid may be valid, as its obvious I havent paused or edited video..:
9mm lead at close to 340fps..
https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player
Great idea Henry, I wanted to do something similar some time ago, but never did.. ( I just hope torsten doesn't see this post cause I've got it one already lol
)

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
The posts by Flatband and BullseyeBen got me thinking about the rules, and I realized that they are too stringent for simple membership, so I have modified them. Basic membership will now be a bit easier to get, but there will be two categories of "Top Guns". There will be a list for "verified" speed, and another for "unverified". In short, membership now leans more on the honor code, but if you want to be listed as verified, you have to follow the previous video rules.

I welcome comments and suggestions.

As before, please read the first three posts before submitting.

#13 ·
Here is an example of a video that qualifies for membership, but not for verified "Top Guns" listing.

Rubber: Dankung 2040, tied in a pseudo-taper configuration. Double part, 4.0 inches, single part, 3.0 inches. Total pull length 7 inches.
Pouch: Thin leather home made 3/4 inch x 1.5 inches

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
About the sametime that Flatband did his 400 +, did a 392. Don,t have the pictures any more un less they are somewhere in the forum. I found where I posted but no picture and I had remembered the speed wrong (corrected). -- Tex

#16 ·
Nope I don't do that anymore. -- Tex

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Raising the bar. I just made it to the 350 level and documented a new verified "Top Guns" speed of 354.5 fps.

Rubber: Dankung 1842, tied in a pseudo-taper configuration. Double part, 3.5 inches, single part, 3.5 inches. Total pull length 7 inches.
Pouch: Kangaroo leather 1/2 inch x 2 inches

#19 ·
I can verify that Tex shot at around 400 fps at about the same time I did. We both didn't do videos though. We kept on going up in small increments and would post on Mel's forum about what we did. We both found out though that very warm temps, super small and light pouch, and a super fast draw and release mean real nice speed. I'll see if I can get a video up this weekend. Supposed to be in the 50's temperature wise. Maybe I might get in the 300's. Go Henry!!!!!!!!!!
Flatband

#20 ·
Ok well first, I had been down the pub for a few yesterday when I first skimmed the topic, and prob didn't read Henry's rules first... I don't cheat, but can respect that certain rules aply to ones ideas, & I wasn't seen in the video myself shooting a 380fps with 5/16 steel (still heavier than what my competion has shot yet let it be said lol)
I noticed a small tear forming at pouch end today, & not having any more tb gold was forced to trim about 15mm off the pouch end..resulting in about a 20fps reduction in speed, but still respectfully fast I think... 1st shot with trimmed bands got me 374fps but I deleted it
so it got cooler and re filmed at this speed.... :'(
This is only the beginning speedsters! Cheers all

#23 ·
Ben, Henry ... I think I have the secret figured out that you guys are using ... It's the BEARD!!!! In that case, I should have this one in the bag.

I am making a new slingshot to use for this effort. Hope to have an entry before long.

Cheers ..... Charles

#26 ·
Wow,380fps for tubes is just awesome Henry.
Ben,summer's only a week away,I can see 400 getting blown out of the water!
I've never shot tubes that fast,my current max is 352fps with 3/8 steel with 1745 tapers.
I'm busting to enter but I'm still working on alternative releases because of my dodgy thumb. I reckon if I can scrounge some extra draw length with a new design I can get up there.

#27 ·
OK, all you guys in Oz. If you want to be first to 400 fps, you better get busy. This is with 2040 Dankung tubes, which I already knew are faster than 1842 or 1745. This set is 7:6 ratio.

Rubber: Dankung 2040, tied in a pseudo-taper configuration. Double part, 3.5 inches, single part, 3.0 inches. Total pull length 6.5 inches.
Pouch: Kangaroo, 1/2 x 2 inches.

#34 ·
I thought about that, Tim, but for now, at least, I want to keep things pretty simple, both for gaining membership and keeping up with the accomplishments. Let's see how it goes. I'm hoping there will be enough interest to justify asking some folks to help administer the club.

And besides, for the moment, tubes are kicking butt on the flats boys. LOL!

#38 ·
Hi Bean, Chronies love light so put a white sheet under the unit for reflection and make sure your sensors are clean and you have a fresh battery. Shoot about 6-8 inches above the readers and you should be good. Have fun! Flatband