56 replies to this topic

#21 Shazam

Shazam

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 104 posts
  • Locationwales

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, I really need to buy one of those. I'm tired of my old wilkinson sword binding all the time.
From seeing other videos of the silky, i know what you mean. It almost cuts silently with no effort.

#22 Jakerock

Jakerock

TeamPFS

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 948 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Another vote here for the Bahco Laplander.
If you point it at a branch, it falls off the tree.
Not quite, but I have never held such an efficient saw and it is very tough.

#23 lightgeoduck

lightgeoduck

"Mighty Can Smiter"

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationNot in Japan anymore,silly

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Is that you? Nice review either wy

#24 Shazam

Shazam

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 104 posts
  • Locationwales

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Is that you? Nice review either wy

Nooooo. I wish i was that young again!
It was just a random review i found on youtube to help me decide on which saw to buy.

#25 JLM

JLM
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSpencer, IN

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

I have a Silky PocketBoy and absolutely love it. I have a friend that is an arborist and it was recomended by him. It folds nicely and fits well in my back pocket while roaming around in the woods. I have been using it for several months and would highly recommend it!

#26 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• 11,196 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

You probably want something with some aggressive teeth for cutting green, and outdoor forks. I use the Coghlan's folding Sierra Saw and
I love it. It cuts green wood fast. It's nice and lite in back pocket, and not expensive at all. I even modified one to
a 6 inch length for even easier carry.
I make walking sticks, and canes, so I've cut hundreds of sticks and of course forks with this saw. My .02. Posted Image

This is the saw that I have. I bought it at walmart two years ago and have done a really LOT of cutting with it. It was very affordable and it works great. They do not carry it any more so I recently bought a Bahco (more expensive and better) for a backup.

#27 Tikigrunt

Tikigrunt
  • Registered
  • 27 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Bahco Laplander. Absolutely awesome. I own one and have used it quite a bit and its still scary sharp.

#28 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,208 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Here is the Gerber saw that I have used for years. You can still find it with a little shopping for about $16 and it comes with both a very aggressive wood blade and a bone blade and a pouch to carry it all. You can buy a replacement blade for about $5. The first very aggressive wood blade that I came across was in an Opinel saw. When I was in the wholesale business 12 years ago, I sold both of these items. -- Tex
http://www.knivesplu...nives-saws.html
http://www.smkw.com/...ndle/OP687.html

Attached Thumbnails

• Gerber 1.JPG
  • Gerber 2.JPG

#29 flipgun

flipgun

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,096 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

I got a Timber Creek from Academy for about 10 bucks. It is doing just fine. If it gets dull or I lose it? Boo-hoo. They have more and I can recycle beer cans and get that..

#30 SlingDaddy

SlingDaddy

500 Post Club

• 533 posts
  • LocationCheshire, UK

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

The Bahco Laplander is the one that most bushcraft guys seem to use. It's the one I went for, purely for this reason - bushcraft is demanding on your tools so they know what they're talking about!

For opportunistic fork collection the saw on my EDC pocket knife, a Victorinox Farmer, cuts surprisingly well.

#31 rapidray

rapidray

500 Post Club

• 596 posts
  • LocationDouglasville, Ga. USA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I have a new Bear Grylls that I got from Sprawlmart for 20 bucks. It slides into it's handle. Pretty fast cutter for the price. Before that I had a STIHL folding hand saw that I got for free with a weed eater. It was not nearly as nice as the BG.

That is the one I went with also...wallyworld for $20 and cut like a champ and clean also. 

#32 Pawpawsailor

Pawpawsailor

1000 Post Club

• 1,153 posts
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I bought one of the Bear Grylls saws and it broke due to metal fatigue after just a few uses. I replaced it with the Fiskars and it has worked great. I also bought a small bow saw from Ace Hardware that has worked very well.

#33 capnjoe

capnjoe

1000 Post Club

• 1,971 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I bought one of the Bear Grylls saws and it broke due to metal fatigue after just a few uses. I replaced it with the Fiskars and it has worked great. I also bought a small bow saw from Ace Hardware that has worked very well.
Mine has begun to flex some lately. I've cut probably twenty or more 2 inch forks with it. It no longer has the rigidity it once did, but it's still cutting well. Should I be concerned?

#34 Pawpawsailor

Pawpawsailor

1000 Post Club

• 1,153 posts
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Mine has begun to flex some lately. I've cut probably twenty or more 2 inch forks with it. It no longer has the rigidity it once did, but it's still cutting well. Should I be concerned?
Mine started to flex at two places on the push stroke and suddenly snapped just forward of the handle. It could have been just a fluke... Who knows?

Edited by Pawpawsailor, 22 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#35 Knotty

Knotty

100 Post Club

• 178 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

In the camping and backpacking world, few saws are so revered as the Sven Saw. http://www.svensaw.com/ I didn't think there could be much of a difference between saw blades until I tried a Sven. Not as convenient as the small folding saws but if you have to do some serious cutting the Sven is tough to beat.

#36 flippinout

flippinout

Slingshotaholic

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yep the Sven is one efficient saw.  I had one years ago and lost it along the way.  I would gladly purchase another.  Bulky, but when it comes time to work only a chainsaw is faster.

For pocket saws, I am still at a toss up between the Bahco Lapplander and the Silky Pocketboy 170 with medium teeth.

#37 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• 11,196 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

I loves my Bahco!  :cookie: 

#38 Crac

Crac

100 Post Club

• 226 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

While I ought to look more into this topic:

I'm using a Bahco Folding Pruning Saw, Xt7 396-HP. (It looks like the laplander?)

And I find it jaw droppingly good... as stated above "you look a tree, and ALL THE BRANCHS FALL OFF!"

I've run off to look up the Bahco catalogue... and it is EXACTLY what I would have bought, 396-JS is a little coarser but as an alternative I offer it.

Personally I’m really fussy about tools and I want all my cutting tools as sharp as possible. The Bahco seems to stay sharp and makes light work of most things. I strongly recommend it for further review.

#39 GHT

GHT

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

this opinel folder has worked well for me.

#http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/opinel-folding-saw---no-12-10198-p.asp

#40 norca

norca

100 Post Club

• 158 posts
  • Locationleeds uk

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Silky Pocketboy very good smooth cut

--Click to Remove Ads--