#1 ERdept

ERdept

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

So got the Scout. It's molded plastic.

Very hard and has gravity to it. It was not that expensive with the discount code supplied by the maker himself. I like it so much, I'll buy two more.

The unit came banded with what seems to be natural latex rubber with a Supersure pouch. One of the best and toughest pouches made.

From the forks down........

The forks allow for three mounting points. Over the top, On the sides, and for rubber tubing through the forks.

I see a small line where there is usually a cut for band to slip through if they are doubled. BUT, it is not cut through on this piece. Are these a suggestion to people who mod to cut through so doubled tube bands can be slipped through?

Perhaps the maker will come along and set me straight.

Posted Image

Moving downward to the handle. It is non symmetrical. The grip is covered in a black rubber like material that provided great grip.

Along with the deeply recessed thumb and pointing finger rests one the fork, the thing feels good in the hand.

Continuing with the grip. The grip is flatter on the palm side and more bowed on the fingers side. Feels good in hand. My only wish is that the thumb rest was even bigger, like a spoon and that the edges were the pointing finger curls around was more rounded.

Perhaps I can file it down w/o compromising safety? Maker, please inform me..

Posted Image

In all, a great value. You get the ergs of the high end wood models, for which I had many, the evolution of design, as Nathan has always evolved and listened to input.

Final pic.

Posted Image

#2 ERdept

ERdept

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

I have an idea that may help any slingshot be more accurate. I call it, and "Accuracy Wedge".

Since I feel that if more surface are contacted the slingshot, there will be more control.

Notice in the last picture above, the gap between my thumb and forefinger.

If this gap was filled with a wedge, it would do several things.....

1. Naturally center the slingshot. So you don't have to worry about a left or right fork being canted toward you or away.

2. Put more contact are in the hand, making less fatigue on the fingers, which have few muscles vs the hand.

3. Allow for longer shooting sessions.

#3 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

I see a small line where there is usually a cut for band to slip through if they are doubled. BUT, it is not cut through on this piece. Are these a suggestion to people who mod to cut through so doubled tube bands can be slipped through?

Yes, that's the idea. Lightgeoduck has already posted a video on this process.

#4 ERdept

ERdept

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

No way. Where do i find this vid?

Yes, that's the idea. Lightgeoduck has already posted a video on this process.

#5 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

#6 Jakerock

Jakerock

TeamPFS

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 945 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Who is Maker? ;)

#7 lightgeoduck

lightgeoduck

"Mighty Can Smiter"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationNot in Japan anymore,silly

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Wow, thanks hrawk!

I do want to point out ( again? Can't remember if it is annotated in the vid)

I used the Dremel on the front and back of the fork, just to get it started. I primarily used my coping saw to cut. Also make sure you sand the inside really smooth, to save your tubes.

This isn't necessary to do, since you can loop the tuber through the fork then attach to pouch with no problems. Also if you don't use loops :)

#8 M.J

M.J

Six of one/ Half dozen of the other

• Moderators Moderators
  • 6,242 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

I have an idea that may help any slingshot be more accurate. I call it, and "Accuracy Wedge".

Since I feel that if more surface are contacted the slingshot, there will be more control.

1. Naturally center the slingshot. So you don't have to worry about a left or right fork being canted toward you or away.

2. Put more contact are in the hand, making less fatigue on the fingers, which have few muscles vs the hand.

The late, great "Jaybird" Schott made his frames this way.
Read a little about it here

#9 flippinout

flippinout

Slingshotaholic

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

The slingshot is made from an injection molded glass filled nylon- super strong and provides great mass at 5oz. The handle section is a rubber overmold.

Yes, the small groove on the forks indicates where the user can DIY to accommodate looped tube quick change if desired. However, be warned that the material can be very abrasive, so be certain to sand the inside edges very smooth for longest bandlife. We will be creating a tutorial on how to make this mod in the near future, but is fairly self explanatory.

The Scout is designed to accommodate as many different shooting styles and user hand size as possible. It can be gripped hammer, fork supported and pinch grip. The asymmetrical handle allows the slingshot to be used by those with small hands(kids and ladies) up to big hands, simply by turning the slingshot around backwards.

The slingshot comes banded with .030" medical latex from Hygienic cut at 7/8" straight, but can shoot any elastic you care to strap it with from chains to commercial tubes.
We will be offering this slingshot in various colors going forward, with the dark green as a standard.

Thanks for the review!

#10 Pawpawsailor

Pawpawsailor

1000 Post Club

• 1,128 posts
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Received mine in the mail today and immediately took it in the backyard to try it out. I like the grip and feel as described above. I also like the symmetrical deign. It could be passed around in a mixed group and everyone could shoot it. I'm used to shooting much smaller frames so it didn't go we'll for me as it came setup. I tried tying on the side mount with no better results. I changed out the flatbands and put on a tube set I recently received from Tex-Shooter and boom... It was spot on! I do not believe there is any fault in the Scout, but, rather, my newness to the design... It takes me a little time to adapt!

I give it an overall A+ in quality, flexibility, durability, and bang or the buck... GREAT PRODUCT!

#11 popedandy

popedandy

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 249 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Got mine today and took it out for a bit. The ergonomic touches are great - something I never expected to see in a slingshot at this price point - and it was very easy for me to shoot consistently with it. It seemed to wind up oriented just right with little effort on my part.

Like Pawpawsailor said, "I give it an overall A+ in quality, flexibility, durability, and bang or the buck... GREAT PRODUCT!"

#12 Incomudro

Incomudro

250 Post Club

• 416 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

This really looks like a great knock around slingshot.
The kind you don't cringe over if you get a fork hit.

Real nice ergonomics, price and durability.

#13 Imperial

Imperial

-HOBBYIST-HUMORIST-

• +Member
  • 6,620 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

excuse the intrusion on your thread, but a wedge like in the pics ?
Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Knot Funny

Knot Funny
  • Registered
  • 39 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Just wondering if the slot can be included as part of the production process?

#15 flippinout

flippinout

Slingshotaholic

• 1,832 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

The slot cannot be included in the manufacturing process due to the nature of the manufacture. This is the reason I placed the locator marks on the final product, so that the DIY'er could modify it later. It is an easy mod, just take care to sand the material very smooth, as it is very abrasive after cutting.

#16 Knot Funny

Knot Funny
  • Registered
  • 39 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Nathan for clearing that up. I thought as much. LGD posted a great video showing the mod.

#17 The Lard

The Lard
  • Registered
  • 69 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Looking forward to delivery of mine .
Sounds great

#18 ERdept

ERdept

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

excuse the intrusion on your thread, but a wedge like in the pics ?
Posted Image Posted Image

YES, this is the VERY thing Im talking about.

If you notice, all flat slingshots are contacted at 3 hard points. The, thumb, 2nd digit, aka "pointing finger" and palm at some point. This triangle means you have to use musculature of the hand.

I want to ideally, grip the slingshot as a bow, with the hand loosely held in the hand and mostly supported by the arm.

So my ideal is to want more area of contact on the "soft points", like the fleshy web.

#19 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi ERdept,

It sounds like you are describing an original Wingshooter Recurve Hunter. Roger made the original model with full hand web contact, just like a wide recurve grip.

Cheers,
Northerner

#20 ERdept

ERdept

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hi ERdept,

It sounds like you are describing an original Wingshooter Recurve Hunter. Roger made the original model with full hand web contact, just like a wide recurve grip.

Cheers,
Northerner

I did, he doesn't make it anymore.

--Click to Remove Ads--