6 replies to this topic

#1 capnjoe

capnjoe

1000 Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 1,971 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Pawpawsailor sent me a beautiful, unfinished pecan fork, so I turned into a PFS. I tried to follow the basic design of my favorite Live oak PFS.
I sanded in a couple of finger grooves for my index finger and the web of my thumb. It's a bit chunkier, but it feels nice in the hand.
I have no finishers save for walnut oil, so I hit it with my cue shaft burnishing papers. It took a nice little sheen. It was a fun little project. Probably took me two hours start to finish. I used my new files and rasp to shape the fork tips and sanded my butt off.

001.JPG 002.JPG
003.JPG 004.JPG
005.JPG 006.JPG
007.JPG 008.JPG

Thanks for lookin'.

#2 Natty Fork

Natty Fork

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

Cool!

Never made a boardcut pfs, but I've been playing around with some natural pfs designs but was having trouble with tubes. I think I see what I was doing wrong after seeing your examples. I was tying the thicker tubing down below the top of the fork and was having trouble with the thinner tubing 'rolling' off the top of the fork even when I added grooves. I also tried some holes in the forks like pawpawsailor did recently. I think he might have something with that method.

#3 capnjoe

capnjoe

1000 Post Club

• 1,971 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

That's why I put that extra tie down so low, Natty. It prevents that slipping.
I didn't put a band groove in this one....yet, but I will. That seems to help quite a bit.
A thin board is the ideal medium, but I don't have a way to cut out a PFS if I had one.
The extra tie is not needed with a board cut PFS.

#4 treefork

treefork

4000+ Post Club

• +Member
  • 11,754 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

What's that little mark on your thumb joint? lol

#5 capnjoe

capnjoe

1000 Post Club

• 1,971 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Ha Ha. You think yer funny don't ya??! I smacked the ever lovin' sh!t out of it with that new shooter from lbspd. I stuffed it too deeply into my mitt and butterflied way way back.
It hit me so hard I didn't know what day it was. Of course it swelled up like a tick on a blood sausage and I hit it every other shot for the rest of the day.
My pop used to say this to me at least once a week: "Son, if you're going to be stupid, you have to be tough." I thought about that AFTER I hit it.

#6 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• 12,373 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

Sweet little fork

#7 Sofreto

Sofreto

1000 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor