17 replies to this topic

#1 LittleBear

LittleBear

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 205 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

Crazy, insane, bloody dangerous, possibly and not even from a tree this dainty little fork is from my wife's flower garden,
Cistus Incanus or Pink Rock-rose.
DSCF3787.JPG

Banded for full butterfly using 7/8" to 1/2" tapered latex and a small SuperSure pouch. It's 5 inches tall, 3 1/2 wide, the forks are a skinny or should I say scarry 5/16" in diameter, the handle 1/2", and it weighs in at a whopping 29.7 grams or 1.04 oz with the butterfly bands and pouch. Won't fit in an Altoid tin but it is easy to forget you have it and a handful of 8mm steel in your pocket.

DSCF3796.JPG

In my defense I originally intended it as and airsoft pellet shooter, and of course it's not just wood anymore; three hours in the vacuum tank with the -30 inHg gauge pegged until the air bubbles to stop coming out of the wood, then another couple of hours submersed once the air was let back in just to insure that as much resin as possible would be sucked into the wood.

1 Vac Inf.JPG

Happily it turned out that the rock-rose a fairly tough wood to begin with, even if only a shrub, is nearly indestructible when infused with acrylic so it was only after discovering how strong the now plastic impregnated wood composite was that I carefully tried out heaver bands.

Been shooting it all afternoon it's surprisingly comfortable to hold if a little scary at first until the hind-brain gets use to the idea that those skinny little forks aren’t going to snap, accurate, and I wasn't kidding about forgetting it's in your pocket made a grocery run reached into my pocket for change and found a slingshot w/ammo instead.

No finish just Micro Mesh and a light buffing.

Edited by lbspd, 28 July 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#2 bullseyeben!

bullseyeben!

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,336 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, sth aus

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

Very interesting methods you use... bionic slingshots lol..
That looks really nice, thanks for sharing this great process, cheers mate..

#3 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 12,570 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:21 AM

Pukka!

#4 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

It's all good... interesting post!

#5 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

interesting idea, nice looking too.

#6 Natty Fork

Natty Fork

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Cool slingshot! Do the tips line up? I have a weird shaped small slingshot just like this but the forks are too canted for use.

#7 LittleBear

LittleBear

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 205 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

... Do the tips line up? I have a weird shaped small slingshot just like this but the forks are too canted for use.

For me the tips are pretty much perfect, I've been holding it in a closed fist with my wrist straight and sight straight down the top band if I close my left eye the top band hides the bottom, elevation is good too with both arms parallel to the ground the shot ends up being level. Also the curl at the bottom of the handle fits snugly between my little and ring fingers for a repeatable and surprisingly stable comfortable grip.
Straight wrist.jpg

A nice sunny 62 degrees today, typical Whidbey Island summer not exactly balmy but hey at least its not raining, today that is, anyway I broke out the chrony and confirmed what I had already suspected only 210 fps. I switched to very light 0.5 gram pouch, and thank you very much Torsten, the the 9mm to 24mm taper double Thera-band blue recommendation for 8mm ammo from his latest video. That got me up to a 324 average short of the amazing 131m/s in the video but is was only 62 here and I tend to hold at full extension a bit longer before I release.

dtbb1.jpg

The bands only lasted for a little over 200 shots but that was more than long enough at 324 fps to completely destroy a brand new Gamo spinner target set at a little over 10 meters. Have to see if I can weld the animals back on or somthing, as for the bands I'll try for a compromise with the light pouch and 9mm-24mm taper on a single latex band set next.

Edited by lbspd, 29 July 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#8 capnjoe

capnjoe

1000 Post Club

• 1,971 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

Totally, stupidly rediculous!!!!!! Terminator twig is more like it. When I lived in WA. many moons ago (Vancouver 2yrs) they spoke of Hawthorn as a good shooter stick. Any truth to to that? Are you selling that thing? I fear the damage that I could do with such a twisted twig. Reverse that and add a pop can.

#9 LittleBear

LittleBear

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 205 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

Totally, stupidly rediculous!!!!!! Terminator twig is more like it. When I lived in WA. many moons ago (Vancouver 2yrs) they spoke of Hawthorn as a good shooter stick. Any truth to to that?

Haven't tried Hawthorn, hm but there are a few trees lining the streets down town, might look a little suspicious not so casually strolling around cutting forks off the branches though especially with the thorns and all, ouch, hurts just thinking about it.

Are you selling that thing? I fear the damage that I could do with such a twisted twig.

Oh no, just a little fish but this ones a keeper, not as nice to look at as some of the others but fits so comfortable and inconspicuous like in my pocket, that and I hit the mark with it more often than any other slingshot I've tried butterfly style, it's my new favorite.

Photo showing how it sits in my hand.
fit.jpg

Edited by lbspd, 29 July 2012 - 02:53 AM.

#10 capnjoe

capnjoe

1000 Post Club

• 1,971 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

I had a feeling.... makes me want to go fork hunting. So nice, man, so nice... My little bitty is a stone cold killer too. It's not infused, but it's Oak. Grape makes a pretty twig too.
The Hawthorn is a crazy tree. A shrike's delight and a pruner's bane. Just lemme know if'n you change your mind.

#11 LittleBear

LittleBear

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 205 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

Tried recreating a few of the things I like about the Twig this weekend my next attempt will have slightly wider forks, more curve to the handle, and either a thicker G10 core or sturdier wood.
Micro Raff 5.JPG
After trying it out I wasn't going to finish it but my wide said she wanted it because it looked like a giraffe to her.
Micro Raff 1.jpg
Micro Raff 3.jpg
Not everything I wanted, yet, but good enough to let me know I'm on the right track, for me that is not sure how any one else would like them.
Micro Raff 2.JPG

#12 Btoon84

Btoon84

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,607 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

that looks super duper dude! the last picture looks like you did a core... g10? that's a sweet looking little shooter there my friend!

#13 WILD BILL

WILD BILL

750 Post Club

• +Member
  • 938 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

Gorgeous!

Is your tank a self-built or manufactured?

Bill

Posted Image

#14 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

Mmmmm, that last picture looks dee-licious!

#15 Natty Fork

Natty Fork

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Very cool!

How do you saw a fork in half lengthwise? Do you sandwich it between two pieces of wood and use a bandsaw? vise and coping saw?

#16 ifix

ifix

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 186 posts
  • LocationTravelling

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

i've been shooting dual 20mm tbg bands on one with the same thickness forks that wasn't treated or anything. it never even occurred to me that it wasn't strong enough.

(and hawthorn is fantastic. cutting forks off a tree in a t-shirt was stupid but the wood is excellent)

#17 Berkshire bred

Berkshire bred

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 828 posts
  • Locationberkshire england

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

i myself use thin birch forks and although they have short forks i have never even had one threaten to snap so i think that naturals are a lot stronger than people give them credit for.

p.s
that looks like a nice little shooter, although i struggle to see how the other one looks like a girrafe :)

#18 LittleBear

LittleBear

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 205 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

... g10?

1/8" Black G-10

...Is your tank a self-built or manufactured?

It's a DIY; 11" thick stainless steel camping pot, 12" x 12" x 1/2" Acrylic sheet, rubber gasket material, fittings, ball valve, gauge, plumbers putty.

...How do you saw a fork in half lengthwise? Do you sandwich it between two pieces of wood and use a bandsaw? vise and coping saw?

My band saw has a 6" resaw fence, if the fork was flat I would just use a paddle to hold it against the fence while pushing it through with a push stick. If it wasn't flat I would use a backing board and putty/hot glue to get the angle I wanted.
DSCF4006.JPG
In this case though it's a board cut, I used scrap panels from the above piece (drying for future projects) baked them in the oven to dry quickly, stabilized them orange dyed acrylic, then cut them to rough shape using the band saw for the wood, and a scroll saw with metal cutting blade for the G10. Glued them together using G/Flex, shaped it with a sander, used a table router with 1/4" round-over bit, and sanded...sanded...sanded.

...i struggle to see how the other one looks like a girrafe :)

It's kind of orang and black, my wife is ... um... imaginative... :iono:
Geraffe.jpg

--Click to Remove Ads--