Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

Google's Shopping Function To No Longer Carry Guns, Knifes And Ammo !

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bruno529

Bruno529

100 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 236 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Why I have a love/hate relationship with Google, and it's getting more hateful all the time.Posted Image

"Google has now changed its policy so that "guns, ammunition and knives" do not show up in Google Shopping results."

Posted Image

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2012/google-adopts-anti-gun-policy.aspx

#2 NightKnight

NightKnight

SSF Founder

• Administrators Admin
  • 4,887 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, USA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Why no knives? That doesn't make sense. I can see guns and ammo, since they have legal restrictions in many states, but knives? Comon!

#3 Bruno529

Bruno529

100 Post Club

• 236 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Why no knives? That doesn't make sense. I can see guns and ammo, since they have legal restrictions in many states, but knives? Comon!

I agree Aaron, I don't like the gun restrictions, but I understand your point, however the knifes?? I wouldn't have pointed it out if it was just guns. If you were to search slingshot ammo, would it not give shopping results because of the word "ammo", leading to the question, "Will they eventually throw slingshots, bows, blow guns etc under that restriction?"

As far as laws St. Louis, where I live, there are no sales of slingshots, parts ammo. You may not make, gift or loan one either. Not kidding. I can not have stuff shipped here. I had replacement bands from Trumark shipped to my sister in the suburbs. I can own one though. St. Louis is the only city in Missouri with that restriction, some states have similar or tougher restrictions, and many states have one or more cities with similar law. That is why I worry it will eventually include our beloved catapults.

#4 Imperial

Imperial

-HOBBYIST-HUMORIST-

• Registered
  • 6,922 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

google has fully gone pc . this is upsetting for businesses, theyve been denied the right to do/have a business . this is anti-capitalism . guess the whole industry is gonna have to come up with an alternative wording for thier products . far as slingshots are concerned- over here in california apparently one or both of the trumark tapered red bands or the tan (?) ones are either unshipable or banned . but yet they are sold in our local sporting goods store . im tired so ill stop now before i make no sense or get all my facts or info wrong . Posted Image

#5 All Buns Glazing

All Buns Glazing

1000 Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:17 AM

guess the whole industry is gonna have to come up with an alternative wording for thier products .

No they won't, just buy ur ammo somewhere else. I've never used google shopping as I use xxDollarBillxx for ammo and the odd round or two from ebay.

I don't think the slingshot community is hinged on google shopping ;)

#6 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

Last time I checked, xxDollarBillxx doesn't sell Speer .223 55gr hollow points or ADI 2207 powder :(

#7 lightgeoduck

lightgeoduck

"Mighty Can Smiter"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationNot in Japan anymore,silly

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

Hmm when is this in effect? I get shopping results just fine.

#8 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

Google Shopping or just results from other shops when searching ?

#9 Bruno529

Bruno529

100 Post Club

• 236 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Google Shopping or just results from other shops when searching ?

If I remember from the article correctly it doesn't start 'til next week, not sure though.

@ all buns glazing:
"I don't think the slingshot community is hinged on google shopping Posted Image"
Point well taken, I was also thinking about it from a vendor perspective, I don't know if any of the vendors here of SSF rely on sales produced by Google Shopping results, but some catty makers or custom knife makers somewhere may.

It's also just the trend of this kind of thing that makes me cross.Posted Image Bank of America recently told a large gun maker to move their accounts elsewhere because they no longer wanted to do business with makers of guns and ammo. Posted Image

At this rate I figure in a couple of years I'll have to take a lie detector test and be quizzed at the check out of the Dollar Store as to why I have purchased so many marbles!!

I'm not paranoid, I just have a heightened sense of awareness!! Posted Image

#10 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

Shooting a slingshot is the greatest form of meditation.

• 5,644 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

This is disappointing. I always search google shopping when looking for stuff. I just hope Amazon doesn't follow.

#11 Whiteleather

Whiteleather
  • Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationFinger Lakes of NY State

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Knives are regulated in some states.

I live in NY State. I cannot order throwing knives. I can order a chainsaw or a razorsharp 10" chef's knife or a 48" long katana or a throwing ax/hatchet...but no throwing knives. Other restrictions on edged weapons as well.

Google, FaceBook, Twitter, eBay, PayPal etc sneak into our lives and bury any competition. When they have no competition, they tighten the noose...kinda like US government.

Remember that income tax was supposed to be a temporary measure to fund the Civil War. It came and went a couple of times and was deemed UNCONSTITUTIONAL by the Supreme Court of the US in 1895. A bunch of rich people brought it back in time for WWI and made it a permanent fixture....only after they figured out how to avoid paying it them selves.

--Click to Remove Ads--