#1 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

Hi guys
Since I read that TTF can be more accurate I try to convert my slingshot into this.
That's what I did so far:
I used a frame similar to Hrawk's dragon. Fork gap 50mm and throat 40mm.
I drilled holes where the grooves suppose to be and put some single tubes thru it.
It doesn't seem to shoot as well as the OTT setup.
I'm not comfortable the pouch hitting the fork. I can see already wear on it.
I did not notice it with my tree forks long time ago. The gap was wider though.
What do I do wrong?
Frame too small?
Are bands better?

#2 lightgeoduck

lightgeoduck

"Mighty Can Smiter"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationNot in Japan anymore,silly

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

it would be nice to see a pic of the set up. Is that possible?

LGD

#3 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

Here is my ' TTF test setup '

Attached Thumbnails

• comp_IMG_5330.jpg

#4 lightgeoduck

lightgeoduck

"Mighty Can Smiter"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationNot in Japan anymore,silly

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

gap is not wide enough for the tubes and big pouch you are using, which explains why the pouch always hits the forks. Remember the path after release goes through the fork as well... I would say if you want to attempt TTF with that particular fork, you should use a smaller pouch and most likely thinner tubes ie 1745s.. It seems like that would be a perfect TTF bb shooter.

LGD

EDIT: actually a wider gap would be preferable.

Edited by lightgeoduck, 16 June 2012 - 05:10 AM.

#5 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

Is there any minimum fork gap, throat depth?
Mostly I shoot 15 mm marbles.
What would be the appropriate pouch length/hight for it?

Maybe I could come up with a frame for TTF I like.

#6 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

TTF? OTT? Neither is more accurate, in the end all is up to the shooter, i shoot both with equal results, i am working on different configurations all the time, and in the end its what feels more comfortable, this can be debated forever.

LGD is correct, your pouch is far too big for your frame and your tubes also too big it is one of those conditions where you are trying to stuff 10pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag. you say you are shooting 15 mm marbles? well without knowing the dimensions of the frame its hard to say if you are pushing the limits on clearances as well? in the end i can easily say this design is best suited for OTT! like LGD states if the pouch were shorter, and the bands lighter it should work, but just by looking i see your tubes stacking as they contract helping the pouch to open and not pass through the throat, big tubes need big throats. and big bands do not really translate into speed, accuracy.

#7 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

I think I got the picture.
I did a lot of things wrong.
If somebody please could give me some guidelines to a suitable frame size and pouch size I would appreciate.

#8 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

I think I got the picture.
I did a lot of things wrong.
If somebody please could give me some guidelines to a suitable frame size and pouch size I would appreciate.

pictures are not always worth a thousand word, so it would help if you gave dimensions on the frame, pouch....................................

#9 harpersgrace

harpersgrace

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

It is rather narrow for your set up, I shoot a hunter jr from Milbro Pro Shot UK that has a extremely small opening (30mmX30mm) and is a through the fork set up. If I tried to shoot it with out a very deliberate flip all I would have would be fork hits and fliers. Good luck with your experiments.
As was said above accuracy is determined by the shooter not the fork in most cases.

Edited by harpersgrace, 16 June 2012 - 08:06 AM.

#10 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

Here is my problem
I like to design a TTF slingshot for myself but I don't know what would be the dimensions of a suitable frame. Like fork gap and fork throat.
I like to keep it as small as posible.
It would be great to have some guidelines of proven 'small frame TTF shooter'.
Like I mentioned above I mostly shoot 15mm (.59 inch) marbles. My current pouch measures 2.75" x 1".
This is apperently too big.
What would be a good size for this ammo?

#11 harpersgrace

harpersgrace

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Here are the dimensions Flatband gave me when I was first thinking about making boardcuts
how about 5 1/4"s tall
                 3 3/4's wide
                 2 1/4" throat opening
                 3/4" prong width
                 3/4" thick wood
                 1 1/4" throat depth(if Over the top)
                 2" throat depth(or more) if through the throat( might have to lengthen overall a little

#12 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

Here are the dimensions Flatband gave me when I was first thinking about making boardcuts
how about 5 1/4"s tall
3 3/4's wide
2 1/4" throat opening
3/4" prong width
3/4" thick wood
1 1/4" throat depth(if Over the top)
2" throat depth(or more) if through the throat( might have to lengthen overall a little

This will give me a start. I appreciate. Thanks.

#13 MAV

MAV

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

Go to the download section and look for El Lobo on the Side, its a band SS not a tube but it might give you some ideas. Personally I prefer OTT, you can get the forks lower and you can get the forks closer together. Works for me.

#14 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:04 AM

Go to the download section and look for El Lobo on the Side, its a band SS not a tube but it might give you some ideas. Personally I prefer OTT, you can get the forks lower and you can get the forks closer together. Works for me.

I found it. Thanks
I scratched my head all night and made many drawings.
I think I'll stay OTT for right now, because the frames for TTF are too big for me.
'Harpersgrace' said that he had to flip his hunter jr. to make it work but I'm not sure if I wanna shoot with "a very deliberate flip"
I'm still learning and experimenting.
Thanks guys for your input.

#15 harpersgrace

harpersgrace

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

Dont know how small you want but here's my pocket shooter from Flatband, shoot with no flip at all..
overall length 5.25 in overall width 3.5 in opening width 2.25 in.
Posted Image

#16 treefork

treefork

4000+ Post Club

• +Member
  • 12,871 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

If you want a good TTF shooter design look at successful TTF shooters here on the forum. Bill HAYS was generous enough to post many TTF Designs here. They are all great designs. (ie Patriot) Or you can keep it simple and fast and get a poly ranger that will shoot flats,tubes OTT or TTF for 25 bucks and kicks arse and is practically indestructible! I guess what I'm saying is Bill Hays worked out the dimensions.The sling has got to be the right size for TTF.

#17 shawnr5

shawnr5

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSan Tan Valley , Az

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Treefork's Bill Hays suggestion is a good one. The Patriot is a great design and is easily modified for any attachment method you might prefer. Bill has been extremely generous and shared several excellent designs with the forum.

#18 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

If you want a good TTF shooter design look at successful TTF shooters here on the forum. Bill HAYS was generous enough to post many TTF Designs here. They are all great designs. (ie Patriot) Or you can keep it simple and fast and get a poly ranger that will shoot flats,tubes OTT or TTF for 25 bucks and kicks arse and is practically indestructible! I guess what I'm saying is Bill Hays worked out the dimensions.The sling has got to be the right size for TTF.

Treefork's Bill Hays suggestion is a good one. The Patriot is a great design and is easily modified for any attachment method you might prefer. Bill has been extremely generous and shared several excellent designs with the forum.

Sure I like Bill's slingshots, they are outstanding, but I don't shoot sideways.
I shoot my slingshot different than the most of you.
I hold my slingshot at an 45deg angle and therefore I make my own to fit my shooting style.

#19 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:49 AM

Sure I like Bill's slingshots, they are outstanding, but I don't shoot sideways.
I hold my slingshot at an 45deg angle and therefore I make my own to fit my shooting style.

the way you hold your sling has little to do with design, i have made 5 of your eagles now, and have seen the new owners hold in every way except the intended 90*, angle, in truth the way that you hold the frame is mostly in the mind. the frame will do the same thing rotating in all 360*, it is up to the shooter to find and hold at his confort zone, i have Hays gangsta, and 45*, the same with AKM's, CHEPO69's, Bob Fionda's, dankungs, the very cool SPS, in the final analysis its not the frame, its a combination of the ergos/comfort and the shooter. it matters little if its hammer, gansta, natty they can all be shot from just about any angle and be accurate, it all depends on how much time you put into practice.

#20 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

the way you hold your sling has little to do with design, i have made 5 of your eagles now, and have seen the new owners hold in every way except the intended 90*, angle, in truth the way that you hold the frame is mostly in the mind. the frame will do the same thing rotating in all 360*, it is up to the shooter to find and hold at his confort zone, i have Hays gangsta, and 45*, the same with AKM's, CHEPO69's, Bob Fionda's, dankungs, the very cool SPS, in the final analysis its not the frame, its a combination of the ergos/comfort and the shooter. it matters little if its hammer, gansta, natty they can all be shot from just about any angle and be accurate, it all depends on how much time you put into practice.

I just was looking again at my threat and found your reply. I missed it somehow earlier.
You're right about that !
Since I shoot now instinctively I noticed that I hold the slingshot different and I don't look at my fork tip anymore.
I still like to shoot my 'eagle' but I shoot it now instinctively.

--Click to Remove Ads--