39 replies to this topic

#1 All Buns Glazing

All Buns Glazing

1000 Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

I was walking around the back yard, tipsy, picking up 9.5mm steel balls and shooting them into my catchbox... Yeah, I know....

So, I picked one up and the angle into my catchbox was too acute to shoot into it, and there's been a steel camping drinking mug in an alcove behind my catchbox. When I first started shooting, I missed it a couple of times and stopped shooting at it as behind is a very loud metal fence.

Well, today, Cooper's Sparkling Ale egging me on, I thought I'd take a shot. CLANG! Hit it, no problems, knocked it over the fence into my driveway. Excellent. Wait, what's that? It looks like a 9.5mm steel ball coming back towards me. THUNK.

Hit my in the frigging head. About 2 inches back from my forehead. Nice sized lump!

Ok, I know this has happened to pretty much everyone, let's hear it.

120523-124027.jpg
Where it bit me.

#2 jayw81

jayw81

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

No I don't have ANY embarrasing stories at all... And I've NEVER had a ricochet (LMAO yeah thats all lies.. but I aint tellin!!)

Jay

#3 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

:rofl: :screwy: :neener: i dont have a clue mr. buns :rofl: :drinkup: made my day you did!

#4 bullseyeben!

bullseyeben!

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,336 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, sth aus

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Second to last shot got me nostril !

#5 bbshooter

bbshooter

100 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 183 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

I shot at a piece of plastic on a post near my pickup. The plastic was at a slight angle and the shot deflected to hit the front windshield. I now have a nice circular spot in the middle of the windshield to remind me not to do that again.

Edited by bbshooter, 23 May 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#6 All Buns Glazing

All Buns Glazing

1000 Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

LOL Ben, caught on tape! I had one land back in my ammo box the other day. Bounced back and the 9.5 steel ball landed in, and hard a party with the 8mm steel balls. Smart *** thing. I honestly feel we shouldn't shoot without the camera rolling - too many funny things happen when grown-ups play with toys.

#7 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

you are right about that!

#8 Henry in Panama

Henry in Panama

Geezer Gang

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,555 posts
  • LocationPanama

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

This is exactly why I rarely shoot steel, and then only when testing. I've taken a .25 cal steel ball in the left lens of my shooting glasses.

#9 Imperial

Imperial

-HOBBYIST-HUMORIST-

• +Member
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

as far as slingshot related ricochets go, i dont have any embarrassing ones . as a little kid i did have a bb ricochet back from my lil daisy rifle and hit me square in between the eyes . my fault for shooting at a can of spray paint about no more than 15 feet away .

#10 rem50

rem50

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

the only thing I did once was I quickly aimed at a plastic top on my electric fence ( I don't know why) and the problem was that I hit it and broke it! It was a great shot but a bummer to fix! Ha!

#11 treefork

treefork

4000+ Post Club

• +Member
  • 11,650 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

:violin: :alky: :shakehead:

#12 Jim Williams

Jim Williams

Craftsman

• 1,357 posts
  • LocationSheffield UK

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

I was trying to shoot a pickle fork shooter by the side of my house a few months ago, I tried twisting the pouch and completely missed my catch box, the resulting ricochet went about 15m and smashed my workshop window. If it had been a cm lower it would have hit wood, a meter to the right and it would have been my neighbors car windscreen eek. I don't shoot there any more :)

#13 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

Shooting a slingshot is the greatest form of meditation.

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 5,290 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

One time I was shooting .177 bbs and i made my pouch WAY to small and it came back and went right in my mouth down my throat. I ate a bb.

#14 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

One time I was shooting .177 bbs and i made my pouch WAY to small and it came back and went right in my mouth down my throat. I ate a bb.

yummy!

#15 All Buns Glazing

All Buns Glazing

1000 Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Ha ha ha ha! I think we have a winner!

#16 Rayshot

Rayshot

3000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 3,632 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia USA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

hilarious!! I am still laughing.

If it was a copper bb, did it turn yer turd green? :rofl:

Edited by Rayshot, 27 May 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#17 Rayshot

Rayshot

3000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 3,632 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia USA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

It is true even if one is alone we can be embarrassed in solitude. The embarrassment comes because I already gave the advice (from experience) found near the end of this story, to others.

I live nearby some county parks that have multiple ball parks and abut swamp, river and wooded areas. Because the ballfields are right next to the swamp and river ("creek" in the south) I find all different kinds of recreational balls in the woods, river and swamp. In one swampish area that is beside the walkway that leads to the ball field is a soft ball about 33 ft away (tournament experience) sitting in a water pool of the swamp. You would think that a soft ball sitting in water when hit with 3/8 ammo wouldn't rebound to bad because the water would help absorb some energy. Don't shoot at a softball sitting in water! Ammo comes back.

For that matter too, don't shoot at any air filled ball. I did that too, and blushed after the ammo went wizzing past me from rebound. Why is it, shooting at a lost ball in a river so enticing? Perhaps the saying; "Old enough to know better, to young to care", still applies to me. Maybe it should say, "too stupid to care"?

Edited by Rayshot, 27 May 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#18 Imperial

Imperial

-HOBBYIST-HUMORIST-

• +Member
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

@ rayshot- softballs are made to "jump" off a softball bat . majority are made of a polyurethane core . by any chance did it feel like it came back at you at twice the speed you shot it ?

#19 valkerie

valkerie
  • Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

I made my first catch box last week....it wasn't finished but I thought what the heck i'll try a shot....the back of it was covered in thin foam to deaden any noise.....first shot bang in the center and then quicker than I could react I saw the 12mm lead coming back with a fair bit of speed and WHACK right on the shin bone! Quite funny afterwards but not when it happened!

#20 rem50

rem50

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

that is funny!

--Click to Remove Ads--