as always charles good stuff

#42 Arturito

Arturito

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 985 posts
  • LocationChile

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Charles you are a genius !!! I saw that beautiful bamboo spatulas at the shop last week ... sure I will go for them !!! 

#43 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 7,485 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Charles you are a genius !!! I saw that beautiful bamboo spatulas at the shop last week ... sure I will go for them !!! 

Thanks for the kind words, Arturito. I like my little boo shooters. Fans of big frames will probably not be attracted to them, but they are great pocket shooters. And I have banded them up with some pretty serious rubber and have no problem shooting them, so they are capable of some serious power. They are quick and easy to make. Have fun with it!

Cheers ...... Charles

#44 BC-Slinger

BC-Slinger

SS3 not quite 4 yet

• Registered
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

I have been meaning to post in this one for a while now. Very clever idea and I have been hunting for some nice rare wood spoons now since Charles has shown me a few of his really cool nice slinging Boo shooters. :thumbsup:

#45 jhinaz

jhinaz

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Charles,

For an OTT band installation, do we need to 'notch' the edges to keep the wrapping material in place? - John

#46 Arturito

Arturito

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 985 posts
  • LocationChile

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Arturito. I like my little boo shooters. Fans of big frames will probably not be attracted to them, but they are great pocket shooters. And I have banded them up with some pretty serious rubber and have no problem shooting them, so they are capable of some serious power. They are quick and easy to make. Have fun with it!

Cheers ...... Charles

I like the little "pocketable" ss's, I have one that shoots nice also, my little mahogany ... this ones can be abused (and replaced) without concerns (in a good way I mean) ... thank you for the idea !!! never figured out it was so cheap and simple ... great !!!

Cheers

Arturo

#47 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Charles,

For an OTT band installation, do we need to 'notch' the edges to keep the wrapping material in place? - John

No need to notch the forks, as long as you use elastic ties. I like to use #32 rubber bands to tie the bands in place. For flats, I just tie them in place in an OTT configuration. For those thin, Chinese tubes, I put the tube inside a short length of larger tubes and then tie that with the #32 rubber bands. The larger tube sleeve helps to keep those smaller tubes from slipping.

Those fork tips are generally too thin to allow you to notch them.

Cheers .... Charles

#48 jhinaz

jhinaz

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Charles, Thanks for the reply. - John

#49 Popcorn

Popcorn
  • Registered
  • 71 posts
  • Locationmontana

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Charles,

Thanks for all the interesting and helpful info and tips that you give! You must have an awful lot of slingshots by now! 

I notice on your profile you have no preference for which hand to hold the sling in, or shooting style. Do you shoot fairly well with any type and style, or which are you more skilled with?

#50 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Charles,

Thanks for all the interesting and helpful info and tips that you give! You must have an awful lot of slingshots by now! 

I notice on your profile you have no preference for which hand to hold the sling in, or shooting style. Do you shoot fairly well with any type and style, or which are you more skilled with?

First of all, I do have a lot of slingshots ... but that is part of the fun. And I get to give them away to friends.

Well, I was just lazy filling out the profile. I am right handed, and right eye dominant. So I hold the fork with my left hand and draw with my right. I am definitely an aimer. I prefer to use a sideways grip, line up the bands on top of each other, and use a spot on the fork tip as my front sight. If I have to adjust the height of the shot, I either hold a little high or low, or else I adjust my draw hand up or down. If I am consistently shooting to the right, I rotate my fork slightly to the right so my point of aim coincides with my point of impact; similarly, if I am shooting a bit to the left, I rotate the frame a bit to the left. Alas, I am not great marksman, in part because I like to shoot a lot of different slingshots and never quite settle on one ... you know the phrase: beware the man that owns only one gun, because he probably knows how to use it! I also like to shoot stones, and do not collect them ahead of time to ensure uniformity of weight. So the variation in weight tends to alter trajectories. For serious work I shoot cast lead.

Cheers ..... Charles

#51 Popcorn

Popcorn
  • Registered
  • 71 posts
  • Locationmontana

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Charles,

First of all, I do have a lot of slingshots ... but that is part of the fun. And I get to give them away to friends.

Well, I was just lazy filling out the profile. I am right handed, and right eye dominant. So I hold the fork with my left hand and draw with my right. I am definitely an aimer. I prefer to use a sideways grip, line up the bands on top of each other, and use a spot on the fork tip as my front sight. If I have to adjust the height of the shot, I either hold a little high or low, or else I adjust my draw hand up or down. If I am consistently shooting to the right, I rotate my fork slightly to the right so my point of aim coincides with my point of impact; similarly, if I am shooting a bit to the left, I rotate the frame a bit to the left. Alas, I am not great marksman, in part because I like to shoot a lot of different slingshots and never quite settle on one ... you know the phrase: beware the man that owns only one gun, because he probably knows how to use it! I also like to shoot stones, and do not collect them ahead of time to ensure uniformity of weight. So the variation in weight tends to alter trajectories. For serious work I shoot cast lead.

Cheers ..... Charles

Thanks, Charles. You so often have some good info and details in your posts that help me to dial in my shooting.   

One thing I notice with my aiming is that if I hold the sling so the bands are over one another, my fork is canted to the left, maybe 5-7 degrees.  If I don't cant the forks, then I have to cant my head to the right in order to center the bands over one another. I wonder if one is preferable to the other?

#52 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Charles,

Cheers ..... Charles

Thanks, Charles. You so often have some good info and details in your posts that help me to dial in my shooting.   

One thing I notice with my aiming is that if I hold the sling so the bands are over one another, my fork is canted to the left, maybe 5-7 degrees.  If I don't cant the forks, then I have to cant my head to the right in order to center the bands over one another. I wonder if one is preferable to the other?

I have shot both ways quite a lot. These days I prefer to keep my head upright. I think it just depends on what you get used to. Consistency is the key.

Cheers .... Charles

#53 Mister Magpie

Mister Magpie

750 Post Club

• +Member
  • 975 posts
  • LocationSurrey, British Columbia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Charles, this is great in its simplicity! Off to Value Village!

#54 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

They are very easy to make and shoot ... can be banded any way you like. Have fun with it!

Cheers .... Charles

#55 Flycatcher

Flycatcher

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 122 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

these are great. I have to try and make one of these.

#56 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

these are great. I have to try and make one of these.

They are so easy to make, and I find them a lot of fun to shoot. Very easy in the pocket. But I think I have just about cleaned out all the second hand stores in Victoria! I seldom find them in thrift stores any more.

Cheers .... Charles

#57 Flycatcher

Flycatcher

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 122 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

what kind of elastics do you use for these. I would be worried that they would snap because of how thin they are.

#58 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

what kind of elastics do you use for these. I would be worried that they would snap because of how thin they are.

I have used a bit of everything ... Alliance Sterling 107s, Chinese 1745 tubes half doubled, Theraband Gold ... anything I would put on any other slingshot. There are two factors at work. First, bamboo is very tough stuff. Second, I shoot with a finger hook and thumb brace. With that hold, there is almost no pressure on the forks. These little guys are not meant for hammer grip!

I have never broken a frame on a boo shooter made from bamboo. I would not make one from the sort of soft woods you sometimes find being used for wooden spoons. I have one that Winnie made for me from silk micarta, and it is tough as bejaysus! I have made them from black palm as well as from bamboo.

Cheers ..... Charles

#59 mopep

mopep
  • Registered
  • 27 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

im am seeing forward for going to the second hand shop soon. i just have to try this one :D

they look awesome by the way

#60 steveh6883

steveh6883
  • Registered
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

My first attempt :)

Boo Shooter

Saw a pack of bamboo kitchen utensils in the pound shop & just knew I had to make some

This one was from a slotted spatula so the gap between the forks had to be wider than planned

Got some 6mm BB & some spare TBG just perfect for this, just need the pouches I've ordered to turn up in the post then am guessing it will be the perfect little target plinker :)

Edited by steveh6883, 17 August 2013 - 04:56 PM.

--Click to Remove Ads--