--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

Pfs Prototype- Aluminum And Zebrawood

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Setarip

Setarip

Brought Joules to a pawn & left with nothing!

• +Member
  • 275 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hello everyone! Just trying to figure out the next major step in my PFS designs and I am trying this one out. Made from 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate, and 1/8" zebrawood scales. Overall length is 4.25" and the width is 2.5". Not banded up yet as I just finished her, but let me know what you all think! With this current design there are a couple different grips available while shooting, so hopefully it works out well! Thanks for looking! -Josh

Edit: Because for some reason the add is blocking part of my image I reposted them further down the thred.

Edited by Setarip, 23 April 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#2 Btoon84

Btoon84

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,599 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

looks good josh!

#3 Setarip

Setarip

• +Member
  • 275 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hmm, I dont know why my pics are showing up like this....the stupid ad is cutting it off!

#4 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 7,743 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Looks very good to me. Those squarish lines and the scales make it seem very classy ... like something from a high-end men's accessory counter. And using aluminum, 1/4 inch should not be too heavy for the pocket.

Cheers ..... Charles

#5 Setarip

Setarip

• +Member
  • 275 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thanks guys!

@Charles- it's the largest pfs I have made so far, and I would put the weight at less than 4 ounces. Even in my pants pocket my wallet is more noticeable! Also because it's 1/4" you can literally put the strongest bands on it(hehe as long as you can hold on though) I think it looks classy too!

#6 mattardel

mattardel

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

This is ridiculous. You just show up on a random forum and just decide to outdo the senior members from the start... Too bad not everyone does this! :D All joking aside, it looks excellent. I'm just getting into the PFS, and that looks just perfect! Good job.

#7 tokSick

tokSick

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAalst( Belgium)

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Nice shooter. I wish i could work with aluminum.

#8 MrTriscuit

MrTriscuit

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 501 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

WOW!

#9 JLS:Survival

JLS:Survival

500 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 710 posts
  • LocationCentral NY

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

that came out really great, I like the design/shape a lot, simplicity sometimes is the best way to go awesome job

#10 philly

philly

Philly

• 2,595 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

I like it, nicely done Bud.
Philly

#11 wombat

wombat

750 Post Club

• 848 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hmm, I dont know why my pics are showing up like this....the stupid ad is cutting it off!

I was wondering the same???

#12 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

very nice, seems like we both like zebra wood, i have one in the making too. my last the one made with wenge? i did the finnish work with my dremel and with so much sanding and shaping to do, it got very hot (the alum) this seemed to have a very bad effect on the epoxy lol. as i was shooting it it suddenly felt out ofbalance on the shot, i looked down and i scale was sitting on the floor. this teaches me to do the work on the aluminum before gluing...................... nice work

#13 Setarip

Setarip

• +Member
  • 275 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

very nice, seems like we both like zebra wood, i have one in the making too. my last the one made with wenge? i did the finnish work with my dremel and with so much sanding and shaping to do, it got very hot (the alum) this seemed to have a very bad effect on the epoxy lol. as i was shooting it it suddenly felt out ofbalance on the shot, i looked down and i scale was sitting on the floor. this teaches me to do the work on the aluminum before gluing...................... nice work

I like the zebra so far, I would say that bocote is a little nicer simply because it's not nearly as porous. As far as the epoxy scales....I do 98% of all of my shaping before applying the scales. The only shaping I do after is to sand down the wood flush with the aluminum, and that produces very little heat so the epoxy won't loosen. I'm still primarily shooting my first pfs with the mahogany scales to test out the durability of the epoxy and to get used to flipping. So far the scales are holding up extremely well!
Also, are you clamping the scales down after applying the epoxy? Apply epoxy and line up the scales. Then let set for a few minutes and then clamp tightly. I wait 8-12 hours before unclamping and then sanding. Afterwards I wait a full 24 hrs before shooting. Can't wait to see more scales from you new convert!

#14 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

:rofl: no i did everything right except the excessive shaping after the epoxy, it just made me laugh more than anything, live and learn. so the zebra is porous? so is the wenge, but it makes for a very nice finish, like Charles says................... classy!

#15 Setarip

Setarip

• +Member
  • 275 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Yeah these things do get seriously hot when shaping...when I am sanding I need to stop and cool the aluminum in water every 30 seconds or so (and when it hits the water steam is produced instantly!)
The porosity only bugs me when it comes to finishes. If I ever decide to put a nice polish on I would need to fill the pores. I also noticed the zebra was splintering a bit more than the bocote did when cutting on the miter saw. Not a terribly big deal, and the zebra does look very nice after oil and waxing! I'm thinking the next bit of wood I would like to use is cocobolo(but man that stuff is seriously expensive! 3-4X the cost of zebra!)

Also, thank you for the compliments! I really want to go for a high end look.

Edited by Setarip, 22 April 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#16 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

good to know! i was eyeballing the cocobolo myself, i ended up with zebra, wenge, purpleheart, and paduk for almost the price of i piece of cocobolo. i like to experiment so................. someday

#17 Setarip

Setarip

• +Member
  • 275 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Ok, hopefully these can be seen now! :P

Attached Thumbnails

• ss1.JPG
  • ss2.JPG

Edited by Setarip, 23 April 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#18 Jesus Freak

Jesus Freak

Jesus Saves!

• Registered
  • 1,116 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Nice slingshot, good job!

--Click to Remove Ads--