36 replies to this topic

#1 Gardengroove

Gardengroove

250 Post Club

• +Member
  • 354 posts
  • LocationGermany, Bavaria

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hello everybody. This is my first post here, so a quick introduction of myself. I'm 27 years old and i come from Bavaria in Germany. Currently I am studying mechanical engineering which i will finish in March next year. I got my first slingshot (a natural fork banded with office rubber) from my grandpa when I was a kid. As I was writing this I thought it had to be somewhere because I knew I never gave it away. So after fishing in my box with leftovers from my youth I finally found it :)

1_first_slingshot.jpg

The rubber is literally falling apart. No wonder because it lay in the box for about 20 years. The next slingshot I got as a birthday gift when I was around 12 years old. It was a Barnett Cobra banded with tubes. I remember having great fun with it. I had great luck that my dad is a versatile craftsman and that he taught me a lot. I learnt the fundamentals of woodworking and he told me how to operate the tools in our workshop. As time moved on I made my own creations like garden furniture, small tables and benches. Later on I invested in an attachment for my Stihl chainsaw so I can mill my own boards (I have a small forest). For me it is most pleasing when I can do the whole process from the living tree to the finished woodwork by myself.

This is my first work of milling own wood (plum tree) and laminating stripes to make a solid board. That board has no finish on it because I don't know yet what to make out of it ;)
2_plum_board_laminate.jpg

So as I cleaned up our workshop in winter I found some "scrap" leftovers of plum and put it aside. I've already browsed alot on this forum and read a lot about slingshots and all the different methods of how you guys build them. When I watched the gallery I got stuck at Nathan Master's masterpieces. I found his "Axiom" and "Omega" were so aesthetic that I immediately fell in love with that design. I emailed Nathan and told him that I wanted to try to build a copy of his design for myself. As I already imagined he could have his concerns about this, we agreed to the following I want to make clear to everybody:

- The design belongs to Nathan Masters
- I do not reproduce his designs for profit
- I do not represent my work as an "Axiom" "FlippinOut" or otherwise
- This rebuild based on the "Axiom" is only a challenge for myself to learn new techniques and imrove on laminating an finishing

Why is this important? As I said I am going to be an engineer I am fully aware what it means when you "steal" an idea, reproduce a patent etc. I don't distinguish between industrial and artificial design here. Patents are a superb tool for research and inspiration though. To be honest if I ever made an invention and i would see a company reproducing my idea I would sue them. Enough said, back to the topic.

Here are some pictures of my building process (took 20+ hours to complete)

1. Cutting plum-leftovers with bench saw to equal measurements / Aluminum core already cut out with jigsaw and roughly filed
3_wood_stripes.jpg

2. Laminating the wood stripes together with wood glue + transferring core shape to the boards
4_contour.jpg

3. Sawing out
5_saw_out.jpg

4. Laminating boards to core with epoxy glue / picking palmswell (ebony)
6_epoxy_glue.jpg 7_palmswell_pick.jpg

5. Edges rounded and surface sanded to 240 grit / Notice the crack on the right - front surfaces were not perfectly parallel -> filled the crack with mixture of sawdust and superglue
8_rough_sanded.jpg 9_detail_crack.jpg

6. Final sanding up to 600 grit - 3 days in linseed oil bath and letting it dry outside
10_linseed_oil_bath.jpg

7. Tried to finish with "shellack" we had at home - looks very nice on restored furniture also makes a durable surface and a deep shine - It turned out to be a very difficult job, in my opinion better for flat large surfaces (it's also called "French polish") - not too happy with that - next time i try waxing and buffing.. Banded up with TB Gold one layer
11_front_view.jpg

Back view, cracks are visible - this is also the reason I had to use a stiff core
12_back_view.jpg

I like how bulky it turned out (I shortened the handle to fit my hand)
14_side_view.jpg

12_1_standing.jpg

15_wall.jpg 13_table.jpg

This is my setup:
TB Gold 1 layer: 21cm(8.2") x 23mm(0.9") x 18mm(0.7")
I am shooting 8mm stellballs, and I guess this doesn' fit because I get handslap also when flipping. I will try larger ammo and different bandsets to figure it out.
What do you guys think? Pouch too big? Bands too long?
By the way the slingshot shoots really nice, after a few days of shooting I can hit a tin can at a distance of 10 meters every 3-4 times.
16_pouch.jpg

Soo far I hope you liked it and if you've got some tipps on reducing handslaps just tell me.

Cheers, Simon.

#2 mattardel

mattardel

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

That slingshot is FANTASTIC! Definitely the BEST first try I've ever seen. What really stunned me was how accurately you cut out each part of the laminate - they were exactly the same! I always have to sand down quite a bit to get them equal, however I'm using a jigsaw where's I take it you're using a bandsaw. It looks just awesome. As for the bands, they're a little wide just trim them to 3/4 straight cut and you should be fine. Keep shooting an great work!

#3 Jim Williams

Jim Williams

Craftsman

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationSheffield UK

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

That has turned out very well indeed, thanks for sharing the process with us.

As for hand slaps, try using a lighter material for your pouch, heavier ammo and you could also try tying your pouch with twine instead of rubber strips.

Edited by Sling Jim, 09 April 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#4 Berkshire bred

Berkshire bred

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 828 posts
  • Locationberkshire england

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

that is an incredible slingshot and it is one of the best that i have seen on this forum if that is ur first one you have great potential and you are evidently a great craftsman i am very very impressed.

#5 Gardengroove

Gardengroove

250 Post Club

• +Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

@Mattardel: I have no bandsaw, every cutout was made with my jigsaw. I traced the shape of the core onto the two boards and then sawed it out carefully. Just take your time. The closer you cut (I cut so that the lines were barely sightable on the cutout) the less sanding work you have to do. And I also had to equal the cutouts and core after laminating, but not too much. There's also the chance of cutting of too much which would be disappointing :)
For the board cut outs I used a special jigsaw blade for narrow curves. These are not expensive and do a great job.
Oh yes, a bandsaw would be nice. I definitely gonna buy one some time. Thanks, I will try 19mm straight cut bands.

Edited by Gardengroove, 09 April 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#6 orcrender

orcrender

3000 Post Club

• 3,050 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Great work!

#7 Gardengroove

Gardengroove

250 Post Club

• +Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

@Berkshire bred: It's actually my second one... I tried first with multiplex, then made some modifications: shorter handle, bigger bulkier palmswell, wider waist.. fits better for me. I am glad you like it. Hopefully I will come up with my own design one day.

selfmades.jpg

Edited by Gardengroove, 09 April 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#8 akmslingshots

akmslingshots

1000 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

that's awesome, there is something special about mixing the metal with wood and you nailed it there

#9 flippinout

flippinout

Slingshotaholic

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

great work and a beautiful slingshot. I look forward to seeing many more of your creations.

#10 Rayshot

Rayshot

3000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia USA

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Beautiful! Well done.

#11 Knoll

Knoll

750 Post Club

• 994 posts
  • LocationW of St Louis

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Ya need to be proud of your execution. Looks fab.

#12 torsten

torsten

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 461 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Really great work!!!
Especially I like the wood after the oil finish!

Regards
Torsten

#13 polecat

polecat

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 139 posts
  • Locationbedlington

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

quality work you definatly have it thanks for posting
polecat

#14 treefork

treefork

4000+ Post Club

• +Member
  • 12,386 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Nice work and welcome to the forum.

#15 pop shot

pop shot

Over 9001 Warning Points!

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationKailua, HI, Land of the EWOK

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Aren't you glad you listened to your dad now? :)

#16 Flatband

Flatband

3000 Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,667 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Well, if that was your first project,you are going to be one **** of an Engineer! That is one special piece of work. To almost mirror the type of workmanship we are used to seeing from Nathan - ( Flippinout ) speaks volumes about your potential-AWESOME! Flatband :thumbsup:

#17 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

very nice work indeed!

#18 Jesus Freak

Jesus Freak

Jesus Saves!

• Registered
  • 1,116 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

WOW that is some great craftsmanship!

#19 philly

philly

Philly

• 2,595 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Nicely done Bud, excellent finish.
Philly

#20 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Nice work Simon. As for the handslaps, try moving up to 9.5mm (3/8") steel or lead ammo.

Cheers,
Northerner

--Click to Remove Ads--