Slingshots Forum banner

Simple Y In Plywood And Poplar

3K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  alfshooter 
#1 ·
Finally had time to make some slingshots with the designs I posted in the Shared Designs Forum. I have about 17 cut out and routed, waiting to be sanded and finished. This is probably my favorite design, the Simple Y. It's made out of birch ply with poplar palm swells. Finished with 3 coats of tung oil followed by 4 coats of oil-based poly. Sadly, it's a little cloudy near the top, but I believe it's because I didn't do a great job wet sanding the final coat. I put on car polish to finish it, and it is just about the smoothest finish I've ever felt. Really comfortable. Once the polish wears off, I'll resand and post pictures. Bandset is a single 107 cut in half.
Wood Kitchen utensil Musical instrument Natural material Metal

Bicycle part Wood Human leg Kitchen utensil Metal

Vase Serveware Artifact Pottery Art

Kitchen utensil Wood Artifact Spoon Metal

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Human body Tire Bicycle part

Wood Bicycle part Hardwood Wood stain Metal

Wood Musical instrument Hardwood String instrument Kitchen utensil

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
many underestimate the strength of plywood . i like this slingshot .

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! It's really great to shoot. Fits in my hand really well, finger support or hammer grip. 107s aren't that powerful, so I might just make a double-banded set. I just thought the single band fit the look. Poplar's a great wood to work with, really soft but looks great with some oil. The finish took me about a week due to drying, but it's definitely worth it. I encourage everyone to try it.

#14 ·
That's a really good no-nonsense design. Plywood is the best wood to build with next to naturals in my opinion because of the superior strength. It is hard to make plywood look good, but you certainly found a way with that nicely done palm swell and that terrific finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.