#43 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

This thread is so exciting for me! That thing's gonna be a little sculpture

i am glad you feel that way, i am at a pause at the moment, i am figuring out how to do the handle. i was going to carve little legs underneath it, but it could be almost cat like? or i may just go with a modified hammer grip? whatever i do i want it right the first time, as Hrawk said you can take it off, but you cant go back and put it on

#44 pop shot

pop shot

Over 9001 Warning Points!

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationKailua, HI, Land of the EWOK

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

You could put a para cord wrap on it

Attached Thumbnails

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331414752.500240.jpg
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331414788.263156.jpg

#45 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

hahahaahhahha when i saw this i was rolling laughing! such a cute little goat with a new hat, in the first photo he seems to be asking whats he doing to me? these photos are great!

he will have a hat, the face is the front (facing away) of the ss' so it will be banded just above his head

Edited by newconvert, 10 March 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#46 Imperial

Imperial

-HOBBYIST-HUMORIST-

• +Member
  • 6,322 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

every time i see the updates on your slingshot, it gets to looking a lil more like the ones from mexico that are something like mayan, aztec or guatamala or where ever that style it resembles is from. every time i see the lil billie goat from pop shot , i think MMM dinner ! :neener: but seriously, ive always wanted a pet goat . :(

#47 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

if i carve my own ideas i dont know what hey will look like, they change as they go? i wish i would have seen pop shots goat before i began so the eyes could be more off centered. my design on this one due to availability of lignum is limited to size of wood.

#48 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

well i tried your idea pop shot, i think its a fail, the sheep now looks like Medusa?
IMG_0048.JPG

#49 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

every time i see the updates on your slingshot, it gets to looking a lil more like the ones from mexico that are something like mayan, aztec or guatamala or where ever that style it resembles is from. every time i see the lil billie goat from pop shot , i think MMM dinner ! :neener: but seriously, ive always wanted a pet goat . :(

yes sir, you are right, i am not looking to make a Mayan so after much thought i went to a different style of handle i have not cut it off yet or sanded the hole, plus i put 2 cut ends from the end of the board on the other end of the board to make another very different type of PFS, the middle will be for 2 more traditional PFS'S one going to DGUI.
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG

Edited by newconvert, 13 March 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#50 tomshot123

tomshot123

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 503 posts
  • Locationmaidstone, kent, england

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

This stuff is the toughest wood in the world, this stuff was litterally usedg for the bow of destroyers in WW2 and they needed diamond tipped tools to cut it!!!
Tom

#51 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

This stuff is the toughest wood in the world, this stuff was litterally usedg for the bow of destroyers in WW2 and they needed diamond tipped tools to cut it!!!
Tom

tell me! i still have to complete the last of the wood, i have taken time away from the wood because it really hits me in the sinus's

#52 inkspot

inkspot

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationWhitby On.Canada

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Good morning Mark lucky you, you have a peice of one of the hardess woods in the world to work with in fact it is so hard and risin and oil filled that it is used to make bearings on propeller safts on big ships at the sea end of the shaft,I remember this because I have a friend that was a old time ship builder,and I talked to him about it when I wanted to carve a peice about 15yrs ago.His sugestion to working with it was a follows,cut with metal tools,if lamenating rough with rasp slowly as not to heat wood to draw risins and oils to surface wipe clean with solvent (actone or laquier thinners )and glue in spacer with blind pins and a glue that will not heat the wood,apply only enough pressure to the clamps to where the glue is ozzing evenly at the edges,let it cure than laminate on top of the spacer.Hope this helps.

#53 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Good morning Mark lucky you, you have a peice of one of the hardess woods in the world to work with in fact it is so hard and risin and oil filled that it is used to make bearings on propeller safts on big ships at the sea end of the shaft,I remember this because I have a friend that was a old time ship builder,and I talked to him about it when I wanted to carve a peice about 15yrs ago.His sugestion to working with it was a follows,cut with metal tools,if lamenating rough with rasp slowly as not to heat wood to draw risins and oils to surface wipe clean with solvent (actone or laquier thinners )and glue in spacer with blind pins and a glue that will not heat the wood,apply only enough pressure to the clamps to where the glue is ozzing evenly at the edges,let it cure than laminate on top of the spacer.Hope this helps.

thanks IS, and everything helps when working with lignum, its a bear, and not a cuddly bear. the end product is really nice though, and the worries about durability just arent there. i did demonstrate in different posts what happens while drilling, the resins get hot and begin oozing from the core, vey interesting. it gets hot enough to melt butter or skin, but it just does not smoke? very interesting wood this lignum.

#54 inkspot

inkspot

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationWhitby On.Canada

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yea that why one needs to work it slowly and not get it hot but it will last forever.Have a great day

--Click to Remove Ads--