27 replies to this topic

#1 Wingshooter

Wingshooter

1000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNorth Las Vegas NV

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

If you are like me and you sometimes can't see the shot flying and you wonder where your hitting. Take some of those vinegared balls and clean them good with acetone then get a can of that upside down marking paint in dayglow orange. I used a plastic lid and put a single layer of balls in the bottom. Spray the balls good and use a paint stirring stick and stir them good then give them another coat. Keep this up until they are well coated. Then every five minutes or so stir them again untill they start to dry and quit sticking together. After they started to dry I dumped them out on a flat surfac covered in plastic and spread them out so they weren't touching then let them completly dry. You will be amazed at how long the paint will last. I still have some left from when I did this in 09.
You can see them fly better than the white tracers and they stick out like a sore thumb on the ground. If you shoot around grass this is a good way to keep track of them.
Now I have to quit this nonsence and get back to work. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0012.JPG
  • IMG_0013.JPG

#2 Scrambler84

Scrambler84

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio Texas

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Cool Idea any type of special Paint ? does the paint work on the white tracers or even marbles

#3 jskeen

jskeen

Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum

• Moderators Moderators
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

That's interesting. I think I would have to paint mine blue though, so they would match :-)

#4 Wingshooter

Wingshooter

1000 Post Club

• 1,295 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Cool Idea any type of special Paint ? does the paint work on the white tracers or even marbles

Get the upside down marking paint locaters use to mark utility lines so contracters can hit them.

#5 Rayshot

Rayshot

3000 Post Club

• 3,470 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia USA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

I have to say at first I didn't see the point of vinegar dulling then painting them slick. I was thinking; " I can see them just fine when shiny until I got to the part about finding them on the ground. I am with you there. Vinegar etch, then paint.

Thanks for the tips.

#6 Wingshooter

Wingshooter

1000 Post Club

• 1,295 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have to say at first I didn't see the point of vinegar dulling then painting them slick. I was thinking; " I can see them just fine when shiny until I got to the part about finding them on the ground. I am with you there. Vinegar etch, then paint.

Thanks for the tips.

A byproduct of that paint is it doesn't make them slick it ihas a slight texture to it really makes them nice to handle. My problem is super dry hands and those slick shiny steel balls elude me.

#7 pop shot

pop shot

Over 9001 Warning Points!

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationKailua, HI, Land of the EWOK

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

Get the upside down marking paint locaters use to mark utility lines so contracters can hit them.

Hahahaha!!!

#8 SlingGal

SlingGal

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 388 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

Cool idea! I hate finding my ammo with my lawnmower. :)

-Restita

#9 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

Shooting a slingshot is the greatest form of meditation.

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 4,940 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

This is a great idea. I would paint mine white like the tracer marbles.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

#10 treefork

treefork

4000+ Post Club

• +Member
  • 10,449 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Great idea! I didn't think it would be durable. Have you tried it with lead balls? Adhesion and durability?I need to shoot more steel but usually shoot high viz glass balls so I can see the flight. I would like the benifits of heavier ammo with visibility also.

#11 Wingshooter

Wingshooter

1000 Post Club

• 1,295 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Great idea! I didn't think it would be durable. Have you tried it with lead balls? Adhesion and durability?I need to shoot more steel but usually shoot high viz glass balls so I can see the flight. I would like the benifits of heavier ammo with visibility also.

That marking paint holds up pretty good. Half of the paint can wear of and you can still see them fly and easy to find. If they start looking shabby throw them back in the lid and give them a light shot of paint. I took some stump shooting and you would be surprised how many you can find after they bounce of off that stump.

#12 WILD BILL

WILD BILL

750 Post Club

• +Member
  • 938 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

Isn't that the truth!!

Another great idea!

#13 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• 4,107 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

Yep,very true! If painted with a dull paint it will make them a better hunting ammo also. -- Tex

#14 Karok01

Karok01

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSevierville, TN

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

Gotta love tracer ammo......

#15 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• 499 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

If you are like me and you sometimes can't see the shot flying and you wonder where your hitting. Take some of those vinegared balls and clean them good with acetone then get a can of that upside down marking paint in dayglow orange. I used a plastic lid and put a single layer of balls in the bottom. Spray the balls good and use a paint stirring stick and stir them good then give them another coat. Keep this up until they are well coated. Then every five minutes or so stir them again untill they start to dry and quit sticking together. After they started to dry I dumped them out on a flat surfac covered in plastic and spread them out so they weren't touching then let them completly dry. You will be amazed at how long the paint will last. I still have some left from when I did this in 09.
You can see them fly better than the white tracers and they stick out like a sore thumb on the ground. If you shoot around grass this is a good way to keep track of them.
Now I have to quit this nonsence and get back to work. :D

Instead of covering the flat surface with plastic (Saran Wrap) you might use an alternate - parchment paper from Wallyworld or your grocery store.

When I teach someone to shoot, I have the newbie shoot white marbles for the "tracer effect" - works fine.

Thanks for the paint tip.

#16 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• 499 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the tips.

A byproduct of that paint is it doesn't make them slick it ihas a slight texture to it really makes them nice to handle. My problem is super dry hands and those slick shiny steel balls elude me.

Wingshooter, as a former magician (and a few other things) who has dry hands and needed a remedy in order to manipulate props, I've found, through extensive research, on the magicians' forums and elsewhere, that any product containing GLYCERIN will help to retain the natural moisture in your hands to give you more "grip". CORN HUSKERS LOTION (Wal-Mart), CERAVE MOISTURIZING CREAM (Wal-Mart) and dermatologist recommended, and GLYCERIN AND ROSEWATER (Walgreens) were within two yards of me as I'm typing this in my living room. I have the same products on my night table by my bed upstairs. Great products.

I recently posted a topic about using PLASTI DIP on one of my slingshots, to maintain a better grip.

Hope this helps.
Mike

#17 WILD BILL

WILD BILL

750 Post Club

• +Member
  • 938 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

You vinegar-ed your balls because they were slick and shiny.What affect does the paint have on these two things?

#18 Wingshooter

Wingshooter

1000 Post Club

• 1,295 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

You vinegar-ed your balls because they were slick and shiny.What affect does the paint have on these two things?

I use the bright orange paint so I can see them in flight better also the orange paint sticks out like a sore thumb on the ground or in the grass.

#19 cheese

cheese

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

ive done this before, works great!

#20 ebooks886

ebooks886

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 152 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

This I'll have to try, maybe with glow in the dark paint for tracer rounds at night!

--Click to Remove Ads--