31 replies to this topic

#1 Henrygamer

Henrygamer

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNW Florida

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Which do you prefer and why. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each.

As always,
Thank you,
Henry

#2 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

I like small slingshots. Through The Fork (TTF) does not work so well with narrow fork separation, as the bands tend to foul the shot. So I usually use Over The Top (OTT). TTF has the advantage that it is much quieter because there is less of a tendency of the bands to hit the forks; and also for that reason, many feel that TTF adds to band life, as the bands do not get so abused at each shot. Just different strokes for different folks.

Cheers .... Charles

#3 Jesus Freak

Jesus Freak

Jesus Saves!

• Registered
  • 1,116 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

I'm with charles... I shoot smaller slingshots so that means I can't shoot through the forks.

#4 ralle1

ralle1
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • Locationdenmark

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

I am startet over the top and now
i shooting throg i get handslap thats
why i switch :)

#5 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

Certainly OTT is much more prone to hand slap; the bands tend to recoil in an arc, down toward the hand holding the frame. TTF is much less prone to hand slap because the bands are more likely to recoil straight back. Excellent point.

Cheers ..... Charles

#6 harpersgrace

harpersgrace

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,067 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Im pretty much a TTF kind of guy, have shot and made forks as small as a Milbro TTF, its a learning curve but do-able...why do I shoot that way??? probably cause that's how I grew up shooting.

Edited by harpersgrace, 09 February 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#7 fatboy

fatboy

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 302 posts
  • LocationTobaccoville N.C.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

I prefer OTT with flat bands but I just ordered 10 meters of 1745 and 10 meters of 1842 to try some variations. We have to mix it up so we do not become complacent or narrow minded.

#8 cheese

cheese

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

ttf!

#9 Hoosier

Hoosier
  • Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

I use small slingshots because I have small hands, And I shoot through the fork with good results.

#10 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Certainly OTT is much more prone to hand slap; the bands tend to recoil in an arc, down toward the hand holding the frame. TTF is much less prone to hand slap because the bands are more likely to recoil straight back. Excellent point.

Cheers ..... Charles

yup i am shy of OTT for what charles said, i broke all the nails on my left hand 1 afternoon and red welts on my fingers

#11 cheese

cheese

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Cheers ..... Charles

yup i am shy of OTT for what charles said, i broke all the nails on my left hand 1 afternoon and red welts on my fingers

oww.

#12 treefork

treefork

4000+ Post Club

• +Member
  • 10,440 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Are we refering ot TTF or outside the forks? Im confused???

#13 cheese

cheese

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

im not sure, but which ever one people have had some painful experiences.

#14 filipino_saltik

filipino_saltik

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • Locationlaguna pilipinas

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

I shoot ttf coz i find acuracy and consistency dis way ther is a constant placement of the band good for aimers
but it is me we all defer im some ways

#15 M.J

M.J

Six of one/ Half dozen of the other

• Moderators Moderators
  • 5,691 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

Generally "through the fork" is any setup where the ammo goes through the forks. Bands routed around the outside, around the inside or even coming straight back send the ammo through the forks.

#16 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

Generally "through the fork" is any setup where the ammo goes through the forks. Bands routed around the outside, around the inside or even coming straight back send the ammo through the forks.

Nope ... check the glossary. Through The Forks refers to the path of the bands at draw, as very clearly described by Flatband.

http://slingshotforu...sary-and-slang/

Used in the way you suggest, the phrase tells you nothing about the slingshot. For example, a person who shoots flip style never propels ammo through the forks. If the phrase refered to the path of the ammo, then "outside the forks" would have little or no meaning. Used in the way detailed in the glossary, the phrase tells you something objective about the construction of the slingshot.

The phrases "outside the forks", "over the top", and "through the forks" refer to the orientation of the bands at draw. As has been pointed out before, if we all try to use vocabulary in the same way, it will greatly facilitate communication, especially for newcommers. :)

Cheers ...... Charles

#17 Wingshooter

Wingshooter

1000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationNorth Las Vegas NV

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

Nope ... check the glossary. Through The Forks refers to the path of the bands at draw, as very clearly described by Flatband.

Used in the way you suggest, the phrase tells you nothing about the slingshot. For example, a person who shoots flip style never propels ammo through the forks. If the phrase refered to the path of the ammo, then "outside the forks" would have little or no meaning. Used in the way detailed in the glossary, the phrase tells you something objective about the construction of the slingshot.

The phrases "outside the forks", "over the top", and "through the forks" refer to the orientation of the bands at draw. As has been pointed out before, if we all try to use vocabulary in the same way, it will greatly facilitate communication, especially for newcommers. :)

Cheers ...... Charles

I am with M_J on this one. When someone ask me how I shoot My reply is TTF. They may ask "why?" and I say because I hate hand slap I am a big sissy. And I feel for me a better way to shoot. Then they may ask "how do you atach your bands?" In my way of thinking two different subjects.

#18 M.J

M.J

Six of one/ Half dozen of the other

• Moderators Moderators
  • 5,691 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Roger, I stand by my definition.

#19 cheese

cheese

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Cheers ...... Charles

i agree

#20 DaveSteve

DaveSteve

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 649 posts
  • Locationresigned

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

How about the 'chinese' setup. I'm talking about looped tubes.

It seems to be something in between. I haven't shot such a setup yet.

How does it compare to 'pure' OTT or 'pure' TTF?

--Click to Remove Ads--