• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Moon

Dark Moon
  • Registered
  • 6 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

I came across the SSR Ranger survival slingshots and this forum on my quest to make or buy a slingshot for the field. Does anyone here have any opinions or feedback regarding the newly released SSR Ranger Survival slinghost? They seem exspensive but I like some of the features.

http://slingshotsfor...ival.com/ranger

#2 NightKnight

NightKnight

SSF Founder

• Administrators Admin
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, USA

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

I hadnt seen that before! It looks pretty well made, and I would expect them to be expensive because of the metal work involved. I wish they were setup to use Flat bands though!

#3 Dark Moon

Dark Moon
  • Registered
  • 6 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

It looks fairly versitile, may be able to be rigged up with flatbands?

#4 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

Sure looks like a nice piece of gear. I never saw it before, so I'd have to rely on someone who's slingshot savvy to try it out first because it's a mite spendy to experiment with.

#5 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

The fork tips are groved, and you could easily use flatbands with an over the top configuration, and standard tie and tuck band attachment. Here they show it with tubes, but you get the idea:

Posted Image

In the suggested configuration, it is wrist braced, which is not legal in some places ... but the wrist brace can be removed. It is designed for the fist horizontal rather than vertical, which is more stable for most shooters. It is a bit bulky ... not something to slip into your pocket.

It seems VERY expensive. I would think anyone handy could make something similar for a lot less money.

Cheers ....... Charles

#6 harpersgrace

harpersgrace

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,068 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Very similar to the wrist shot done by Jorge, He did a video on how ro make one, you can find it on his youtube channel, "The Slingshot Channel" or do a search here and you could probably find it. The design looks functional just check you local laws.
I think it's all a mater of taste, I'm sure you could get by just as well with a slingshot made by yourself or one of the vendors here.

Edited by harpersgrace, 04 December 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#7 Dark Moon

Dark Moon
  • Registered
  • 6 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

It looks very cool. But as pointed out, it is bulky, exspensive, and kinda impersonal. I like what you guys are making here outta wood. I wanted somethign that I could make and throw in my pack along side my bowie knife for a day in the woods of fun.

#8 harpersgrace

harpersgrace

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,068 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

well pretty much any of the vendors here or even you could take care of that, just depends on what you want and how much you're looking to spend...In reality a forked stick and a set of bands will get the job done.

#9 Cervantes

Cervantes

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 113 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

I'm working on some designs worthy to post here. I like the storage space in the ranger, but the design seems sort of...mechanical..soulless??
Anyways, I'm thinking of incorporating some spare AR parts and PVC for something kinda interesting. I'm sure Jorge has some designs you could emulate and add to since most of his designs use steel.

And yeah, the ranger at over 100 bones...You could definitely make something like it for maybe 30 at the most, and use the rest for IDK, something else.

#10 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,404 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:50 AM

It looks like a Jörg glove shot with lots of machining for $159.

Personally, it's not my ideal choice in terms of shootability and compactness, but it looks like it does a reasonable job.

I just find it very funny that a bushcrafter would lug that contraption into the wilderness, rather than cut himself a fork.

#11 Master Sling

Master Sling
  • Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

I remember there being a kid on here that was asking advice on building and commercially manufacturing a gloveshot. he came up with a few prototypes and they looked similar. had the paracord weaved hand brac too. I bet this is what has become of it.

#12 haertig

haertig

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 326 posts
  • LocationColorado, U.S.A.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Two thoughts came to mind when I saw the pictures:

(1) "Technology for the sake of technology, not function"

and

(2) "Jack of all trades, master of none"

Dang, that thing is expensive too!

#13 NightKnight

NightKnight

SSF Founder

• Administrators Admin
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, USA

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

Well, I must be the minority, because I wouldnt mind having one!

#14 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

Well, I must be the minority, because I wouldnt mind having one!

Of course, many of us wouldn't MIND having one ... one more odd thing to add to the collection. But no way am I about to spend over $150 for the thing ... Heck, I probably would not spend $50 for it. Given that the manufacturing run was probably not large, and the cost of tooling up is probably pretty steep, they probably have to charge that much in the hope of breaking even. BUT, to me it is certainly not worth that kind of money. Personally, I can build one for a LOT less outlay, if I am willing to spend my time ... but I do not see any advantages to it to make me want to put in the effort.

But we are all different. If it turns your crank to the tune of $150+ then go for it ... no criticism from me intended. :)

Cheers ...... Charles

Edited by Charles, 05 December 2011 - 06:32 PM.

#15 lobow

lobow
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

I would like to see some thing on youtube before I would buy one.

#16 pop shot

pop shot

Over 9001 Warning Points!

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationKailua, HI, Land of the EWOK

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

It kinda looks like random car suspension parts tack welded together. i can't imagine it would be accurate, as the perpendicular line to the forks would point directly to your holding hand's shoulder- the bands are stretched unevenly unless you're shooting maxed out butterfly 65" draw and cocking your head out of the way. seems like a gimmick built by someone that hasn't done the research

#17 Dark Moon

Dark Moon
  • Registered
  • 6 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

• I got a e-mail reply to my inquiry about the Ranger. They currently have a waiting list as the first run sold out.

#18 Master Sling

Master Sling
  • Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

hard to beleive

#19 Bill Hays

Bill Hays

2000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 2,590 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Lol, just saw this thread and opened it thinking someone was talking about one of my Ranger slingshots in G10 or aluminum... anyway Dark Moon, if that's the kind of slingshot you'd like, get it. It looks well made and although it certainly is not my cup o'tea and I don't think it would be to capable of hitting with much accuracy as compared to a more standard design... it does appear to be well made from good materials.

#20 Rapier

Rapier

750 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 898 posts
  • LocationVictoria Australia

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

Definatly a copy of jörg Spraves 'glove shot'. I quite like it. Very military but I would ask Jörg if he minds that it's being copied for commercial purposes befor i bought one because if he does I would boycott it out of moral standards.
That's just me though

--Click to Remove Ads--