Slingshot Glossary and Slang

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 volyfgar

volyfgar
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

fantastic glossary of terms, definitely helping remove the newbiness.

#82 Nicholson

Nicholson

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 899 posts
  • LocationEAGLE RIVER, ALASKA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

What are "dye cut" bands or pouches?

#83 Blade

Blade

250 Post Club

• 412 posts
  • LocationNorthern IL. America

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

Same as any other die cutting process. Think cookie cutter.

Edited by Blade, 25 November 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#84 Nicholson

Nicholson

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 899 posts
  • LocationEAGLE RIVER, ALASKA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

So, is it a shaped cutter and the pattern is stamped out?

#85 Blade

Blade

250 Post Club

• 412 posts
  • LocationNorthern IL. America

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

Yep. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong)

#86 DogBox

DogBox

500 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 550 posts
  • LocationAust.

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

What are "dye cut" bands or pouches?

I would prefer to cut my own 'bands' as the nature of the material [rubber-like] is cut much better by a roller cutter - nice clean edges; leaving no "whiskers" or "part cuts" having to be "pulled apart" from the material sheet. Pouches? Now that's different!  

#87 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

"THWACK!" = the sound of success.

#88 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:15 AM

What does SWO mean in front of PFS ? I know that PFS stands for Picked Fork Slingshot, but for the life of me I can't figure out what SWO means ?

Thanks,

wll

Stew with onions.

#89 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

After looking it up with the Google search engine, turns out SPS is a model of slingshot, something like Stratagem Performance Slingshot.

Also, if any of you are wondering what spalted wood is, it appears to be wood that has been affected by fungal organisms, causing changes in coloration and pattern in the wood, prized by some for its beauty. It is said that before working spalted wood, it should be put in a microwave oven and/or(?) soaked in boiled linseed oil (BLO) to prevent inhaling/ ingesting fungus spore which could have an adverse effect on one's health.

Am I the only one who uses an Internet forum to talk to himself?

Uh huh.

#90 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

Recently there seems to have been some confusion on the part of some folks about the meaning of the terms "Over The Top" or OTT, "Through The Forks" or TTF, and "Outside The Forks" or OTF. Flatband did not actually mention OTF. However, he very clearly characterised OTT and TTF as refering to the path of the BANDS on a slingshot. Used in this way, the terminology tells us something very definite and objective about the construction of the slingshot; so this useage should be preserved. As an aid, I have taken a couple of illustrative photos. In these photos I have used Gypsy tabs, but only because it made it easy to make quick changes of orientation for the purposes of the photos.

First, here is a photo of an OTT arrangement:

OverTheTop.jpg

And here is a photo of a TTF arrangement:

ThoughTheForks.jpg

As is readily seen in this photo, this arrangement is appropriate only for forks with wide separation, or else the bands will foul the shot. I would never use it on the frame in the photo, and show it here only as an illustration.

Another phrase often used is "Outside The Forks", or OTF. Again, using this phrase to refer to the arrangement of the bands, here is a photo to illustrate:

OutsideTheForks.jpg

There is another arrangement that seems not to have a firm phraseology. For some slingshots, the bands are attached to the same side of the forks as the direction of pull. I propose to use the phrase "Bands Same Side", or BSS for this arrangement. Here is an illustrative photo:

BandsSameSide.jpg

Now, I certainly cannot dictate linguistic useage for everyone. But failure to maintain consistency of meaning will only result in confusion and inhibit communication. You could use the term "steer" to refer to the beast that most folks call a "cow". But if you do so, and tell your friends you were out milking your steer, you will get some mighty strange looks, if not worse!!!

Cheers ....... Charles

Just wondering if you're aware that you and Flatband use the phrase "speed bump" to refer to different things?

Regards,

Mike

#91 Lord Flash-heart

Lord Flash-heart
  • 21 posts
  • LocationEnglandshire

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

Threads like this are why i joined up, thanks for the info.

Now getting up to speed with modern lingo and terms and to be honest....... it was hard work looking at the shop sites and forum posts and trying to work out what a Starship or Pickle fork actually refered to,  few more days of reading through the site and i should be fluent in catty speak :)

#92 aussie-slings

aussie-slings
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

very helpfull just found out im not a through the forks guy but over the top lol

#93 Charlie-2007

Charlie-2007
  • Registered
  • 50 posts
  • Locationshanghai china

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Thank you for your kindly share ,

I will remember quickly.

#94 twang

twang

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 286 posts
  • Locationgreat britain

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

I've been wondering why a "mule" is called a mule?I've searched the forums and I cant find the answer.can anyone enlighten me?

Edited by twang, 29 May 2016 - 07:14 AM.

#95 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,546 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

I think it's just a name given to a specific frame. For instance, an Axiom type frame, a Chalice type frame,a Moorhammer frame etc.That's what I'm thinking anyway.

#96 treefork

treefork

Send It

• +Member
  • 18,313 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

What does SWO mean in front of PFS ? I know that PFS stands for Picked Fork Slingshot, but for the life of me I can't figure out what SWO means ?

Thanks,

wll

SWOPFS  =  Slim Waist Original Pickle Fork Shooter.  It's a name " Pawpawsailer "  came up with to name his modification of   " Dgui's "  original pickle fork shooter .

msg-5367-0-75864000-1390777241_thumb.jpg

Edited by treefork, 31 May 2016 - 10:04 PM.

#97 Smoketown

Smoketown
  • +Member
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:24 PM

WOW,

Thanks Flatband!!

Not just for the noobs ... "Senior Flatulents" / Old Farts need direction/decoding too!

Cheers,

Smoketown

#98 Larry Bass

Larry Bass
  • Registered
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOttawa,Ontario,Canada

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:37 AM

Great contribution here bud. Nice to find a spot where one can dig the lingo of their new love. :) lb

--Click to Remove Ads--