• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 rubberpower

rubberpower

250 Post Club

• 383 posts
  • LocationOK

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

Sounds great to me but do you think that the rest of the forum will go for it? Maybe eventually it will be common terms for all US forums.

#22 orcrender

orcrender

3000 Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

I like the ideal.

#23 NightKnight

NightKnight

SSF Founder

• Administrators Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, USA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

I am fine with that. I am all for clear terminology.

#24 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,597 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

Edited and in! Flatband

#25 K1ng Edward

K1ng Edward
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

This is terrific, thank you so much for putting this together.

As a VERY new shooter, and user of this forum, you have really helped me to get more out of what I am reading.

I wonder if you could add a definition for "heavy" bands. I am not sure if that refers to the strength, the power, how hard they are to pull, or something else.

Thanks again,
K1ng

#26 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 10,749 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

Recently there seems to have been some confusion on the part of some folks about the meaning of the terms "Over The Top" or OTT, "Through The Forks" or TTF, and "Outside The Forks" or OTF. Flatband did not actually mention OTF. However, he very clearly characterised OTT and TTF as refering to the path of the BANDS on a slingshot. Used in this way, the terminology tells us something very definite and objective about the construction of the slingshot; so this useage should be preserved. As an aid, I have taken a couple of illustrative photos. In these photos I have used Gypsy tabs, but only because it made it easy to make quick changes of orientation for the purposes of the photos.

First, here is a photo of an OTT arrangement:

Posted Image

And here is a photo of a TTF arrangement:

Posted Image

As is readily seen in this photo, this arrangement is appropriate only for forks with wide separation, or else the bands will foul the shot. I would never use it on the frame in the photo, and show it here only as an illustration.

Another phrase often used is "Outside The Forks", or OTF. Again, using this phrase to refer to the arrangement of the bands, here is a photo to illustrate:

Posted Image

There is another arrangement that seems not to have a firm phraseology. For some slingshots, the bands are attached to the same side of the forks as the direction of pull. I propose to use the phrase "Bands Same Side", or BSS for this arrangement. Here is an illustrative photo:

Posted Image

Now, I certainly cannot dictate linguistic useage for everyone. But failure to maintain consistency of meaning will only result in confusion and inhibit communication. You could use the term "steer" to refer to the beast that most folks call a "cow". But if you do so, and tell your friends you were out milking your steer, you will get some mighty strange looks, if not worse!!!

Cheers ....... Charles

Edited by Charles, 15 January 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#27 K1ng Edward

K1ng Edward
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Charles, as I am already finding (out in my short time reading this forum), your thoughts and instruction are helpful.

This is no exception - thank you for adding even more clarity to Flatband's post.

K1ng

#28 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,508 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks charles. Well illustrated.

#29 paz

paz
  • 15 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:40 AM

Being from the US it took me two weeks to figure out what a "catty" was.

#30 Stephen

Stephen
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSumter, SC

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thanks, Charles. I had no idea what those terms actually referred to. Great explanation.

#31 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,597 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hey ,there's another addition to the vocabulary-"GYPSY TABS"! Excellent! I'll add it! Flatband :king:

#32 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hey ,there's another addition to the vocabulary-"GYPSY TABS"! Excellent! I'll add it! Flatband :king:

Good idea!

Cheers ......... Charles

#33 Scrambler84

Scrambler84

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio Texas

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

A new term for you Pinging just one I just when either getting close to hitting my target or hitting that cat in the front yard in the butt not to hurt them but give them a good running off something to remember. LOL . Just a Thought ..

#34 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

Recently there seems to have been some confusion on the part of some folks about the meaning of the terms "Over The Top" or OTT, "Through The Forks" or TTF, and "Outside The Forks" or OTF. Flatband did not actually mention OTF. However, he very clearly characterised OTT and TTF as refering to the path of the BANDS on a slingshot. Used in this way, the terminology tells us something very definite and objective about the construction of the slingshot; so this useage should be preserved. As an aid, I have taken a couple of illustrative photos. In these photos I have used Gypsy tabs, but only because it made it easy to make quick changes of orientation for the purposes of the photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As is readily seen in this photo, this arrangement is appropriate only for forks with wide separation, or else the bands will foul the shot. I would never use it on the frame in the photo, and show it here only as an illustration.

Another phrase often used is "Outside The Forks", or OTF. Again, using this phrase to refer to the arrangement of the bands, here is a photo to illustrate:

Posted Image

There is another arrangement that seems not to have a firm phraseology. For some slingshots, the bands are attached to the same side of the forks as the direction of pull. I propose to use the phrase "Bands Same Side", or BSS for this arrangement. Here is an illustrative photo:

Posted Image

Now, I certainly cannot dictate linguistic useage for everyone. But failure to maintain consistency of meaning will only result in confusion and inhibit communication. You could use the term "steer" to refer to the beast that most folks call a "cow". But if you do so, and tell your friends you were out milking your steer, you will get some mighty strange looks, if not worse!!!

Cheers ....... Charles

i have tried BSS before it seems to give less resistance to the retention bands seeming more likely to slip out from under the tie downs, i can see the tabs working, but this is a good thread because you described what i thought to be true, and many times the terms get used improperly and being new its a matter of sorting things out, thanks again oh sage one!

#35 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

i have tried BSS before it seems to give less resistance to the retention bands seeming more likely to slip out from under the tie downs, i can see the tabs working,

As a kid, we always use a BSS arrangement. We draped each band across the top of the fork and just wrapped string around the fork and the band on both sides. So when we drew back, the band was being pulled directly against the tie. I think the reason we had no trouble with slipping is that the band was tied on both sides ... front and back.

But you see a BSS arrangement with tubes ... think of a Wrist Rocket or something similar. And in some cases, the tubes are put through a hole in the fork and then a BB is forced into the end of the tube to keep it from pulling out. Whamo slingshots with flats in slots were a classic BSS arrangement.

But you are quite right ... I would be very leery of using a BSS arrangement with each band held in place by a single elastic tie.

Cheers ...... Charles

#36 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

i have tried BSS before it seems to give less resistance to the retention bands seeming more likely to slip out from under the tie downs, i can see the tabs working,

As a kid, we always use a BSS arrangement. We draped each band across the top of the fork and just wrapped string around the fork and the band on both sides. So when we drew back, the band was being pulled directly against the tie. I think the reason we had no trouble with slipping is that the band was tied on both sides ... front and back.

But you see a BSS arrangement with tubes ... think of a Wrist Rocket or something similar. And in some cases, the tubes are put through a hole in the fork and then a BB is forced into the end of the tube to keep it from pulling out. Whamo slingshots with flats in slots were a classic BSS arrangement.

But you are quite right ... I would be very leery of using a BSS arrangement with each band held in place by a single elastic tie.

Cheers ...... Charles

exactly! i thought it would be a more direct path, one shot showed me not to do that any more, just one shot and the bands pulled almost completely out, good thing about checking before shooting.

#37 cheese

cheese

500 Post Club

• 741 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers ....... Charles

this is how i always thought of it

#38 alfshooter

alfshooter

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationEl Escorial -- Madrid

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hello Sir Charles , seƱor Gary

Thank you very much for the clarifications.

greeting

#39 Berkshire bred

Berkshire bred

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 848 posts
  • Locationberkshire england

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

cheers thats really helpful i knew most of them but there were one or two that i was not quite sure about.

#40 Mr.Teh

Mr.Teh

3000 Post Club

• 3,746 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hello Flatband, a big Thanks from the Newbie Mr. Teh

--Click to Remove Ads--