17 replies to this topic

#1 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

I spent quite a bit of time gathering chronograph numbers for various band combos and ammo weights for my Pickle Fork Shooters. All shooting was a 28" draw length. The testing was repeated severals times to ensure accuracy.

Notes of interest
- THB = Theraband Black; TBS = Theraband Silver; TBG = Theraband Gold; Tex = .030" Hygenic Latex
- Ammo Weights - Crosman BB = 5 gr; 1/4" steel = 16 gr; 5/16" steel = 32 gr; 3/8" steel = 56 gr
- All bands were adjusted to 7 1/4" from pouch to fork.
- Tex bands and TBG were identical in power. I duplicated the testing several times with all ammo types and the results were always within 1 or 2 fps either way. Possibly one band would excel with heavier pulling bands, heavier ammo or a longer draw length.

Cheers,
Northerner

Attached Thumbnails

• PFS Mania 003b.jpg

Attached Files

#2 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

The chart is in MS-Excel and I'm not sure how to paste the chart into the body of the message. If someone knows how that would be greatly appreciated :)

#3 philly

philly

Philly

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 2,595 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

Good work Norrhner, I have some Sterling 107's and some Flatband .050" latex I will be trying this week. I'll try to expand your results with lead. .310, .375 and .457 dia. Nice job Bud.
Philly

#4 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

Ahhh, A Beautiful Family Portrait.

#5 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

Good work Norrhner, I have some Sterling 107's and some Flatband .050" latex I will be trying this week. I'll try to expand your results with lead. .310, .375 and .457 dia. Nice job Bud.
Philly

Hi Philly,

I'm using your shooting style with the PFS. I anchor just below my right eye (on upper cheek bone). Draw length is around 27 1/2" to 28".

I'm looking forward to your results and I might check some local stores for the 107s.

Cheers,
Northerner

#6 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

PDF format for those who might not have Excel.

Attached Files

#7 philly

philly

Philly

• 2,595 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:48 PM

Northner, happy to hear the anchor is working for you, it has really improved my instinctive forks up style of shooting. I got the Sterling 107's from Amazon but had to pay almost as much for shipping. Someone said Staples will order them for you and have them shipped to a local store so no shipping cost. They sell for around $5.00 +/- for a 1 lb box, 50 bands, enough for 25 band sets. I have been shooting them for two days now around 400 shots and no breakage yet. I don't see any negative effect on accuracy. They shoot pretty flat for me out to 25 meters. Give them a try, cheap alternative to custom cuts. I am getting around 153FPS with them at 27 1/2" draw with a working length of 7 1/4", plenty fast enough for target with 3/8 steel with one of my EPS's. As they break I will try a shorter length and recheck the speed but think I might get some hand slap with 3/8 steel.
Philly

#8 BaneofSmallGame

BaneofSmallGame

Here to help and learn

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 782 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York, USA

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

Philly, want to get more bang for your buck on those 107's?

You have a short draw, so I highly suggest making each band one full set up. That way you get 50 sets in a box. Which should last you forever...

DH and I have been doing it for months, just cut 1 band into 2 parts and set em up on your fork. They'll be a stiffer draw than full length, but they seem to give some great speed.

Even MORE bang for your buck.

Cheers - John

P.S. Don't buy the pale crepe 107's! :lol:

#9 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 12,576 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

Bamboo PFS :wub:

#10 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

Hi Philly - The 107s seem to be close to 5/8" Theraband Silver with 3/8" ammo and a 27 1/2" draw length. I'll have to check with our local Staples to see if they can get some for me. It's always fun experimenting with various types of bands.

Hi BaneofSmallGame - The pale crepe bands 107s must be what they call "soft stretch for stress-free application". "Latex-free rubber bands" ..." contain no natural rubber proteins and are 100 % latex-free". These don't sound like something for slingshots. I'll ask for the Alliance Sterling 107s.

Hi e-shot - Yup, bamboo looks very nice!

Cheers,
Northerner

#11 Jacktrevally

Jacktrevally

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 892 posts
  • LocationMRU

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

Beautiful set of pfs Northener.

Especially the bamboo.

#12 philly

philly

Philly

• 2,595 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

Yes, nice set of shooters, I have 3 also, 4",
4 1/2" and 4 3/4" I like the grip on the longest best. Mine are all laminated Bamboo also.
Philly

#13 philly

philly

Philly

• 2,595 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

Philly, want to get more bang for your buck on those 107's?

You have a short draw, so I highly suggest making each band one full set up. That way you get 50 sets in a box. Which should last you forever...

DH and I have been doing it for months, just cut 1 band into 2 parts and set em up on your fork. They'll be a stiffer draw than full length, but they seem to give some great speed.

Even MORE bang for your buck.

Cheers - John

P.S. Don't buy the pale crepe 107's! :lol:

I'll have to give that a try John, If I am getting around 150fps at 7 1/4' ish I should do much better with shorter, just wonder about hand slap with 3/8 steel. No problem with my hunting load at .457 I wouldn't think. We shall see, I like them alot. Sending you a pic via PM John.
Phil

#14 AZshooter

AZshooter

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

Notherner...If you check with Alliance`s website and information about the pale crepe gold brand you will find they contain the highest rubber content of all their brands...over 90%...Perry says he uses double bands of this type on some of his slings with success.

#15 Ry-shot

Ry-shot

Shooter

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

pfs make my mouth water. gorgeous design

#16 kooniu

kooniu

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 229 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

hereby join to PFS addictive;), has just made ​​his first and probably nothing more I do not already do - I found the perfect sling - a simple, lightweight, comfortable dutyand a small (flat) I am delighted!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

hereby join to PFS addictive;), has just made ​​his first and probably nothing more I do not already do - I found the perfect sling - a simple, lightweight, comfortable dutyand a small (flat) I am delighted!

Posted Image
Posted Image

That is Super they Look Great!

#18 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

I have one of the Northern BamBoos PFS and it is Awesome. But I am certain I have already said that.

--Click to Remove Ads--